BAC Vigilant B.1

Started by Devilfish, November 14, 2018, 01:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

By the early 60's it was apparent that a standard bomber had no hope of penetrating the air defences surrounding Russia.  A two tier attack plan was devised, where most aircraft would go in low level. However, it was though that if an aircraft could go in high enough and fast enough, it would have a chance of hitting its target.  The Americans were pursuing this idea with the XB-70 Valkyrie, but in the UK funding for such a lavish project was not available, especially as there were 3 other major projects being developed (TSR2, P.1154, HS.681)

However, a light was seen in the tunnel, with the recent start of the collaborative supersonic airliner being designed with the French.  Studies were undertaken to see if it would be feasible to make a bomber version, and it seemed, with some structural strengthening, it could be done.

The first aircraft, now christened the Vigilant, was completed in 1968, ahead of the airliner. Externally it was similar to the first Concorde prototypes, other than it had a solid visor on a shorter droop snoot, which was fitted with a radar navigation and bombing system (NBS2). Engines were the same Olympus's as fitted to the TSR2, for commonality.

Weapons were carried in an internal bomb bay, to reduce drag.

Unlike the airliner, it wasn't planned to fly at full speed for the entire flight, so a camouflage scheme was acceptable, as heat dissipation wasn't so much of a problem.

The Vigilant B.1 entered service in 1970, serving only on 27 Sqn, being replaced by the B.2 in 1974, based more on the standard Concorde airliner fuselage

The kit is the ancient (late 60s?) Airfix 1/144 Concorde pre-prototype.  I plan to make a stand for it, but thought I'd get it up on the board first. Literally a rough and ready kit. Awful fit, loads of filler etc. Camo was sprayed freehand, so it looks more like a manufacturers desktop model, lol

20181113_205147 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20181113_205207 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20181113_205214 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20181113_205316 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20181113_205322 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

McColm

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

That's cool! IMO the desktop model vibe works perfectly!

Makes me think of the concept art with Blue Steels under the belly. Love it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Tophe

I thought a Concorde without clear/black canopy would not be pretty, but I like your one. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Rat

Beauty!  I have one of those in pieces, should glue it back together and whiff it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Devilfish

Quote from: KiwiZac on November 14, 2018, 08:15:28 AM
That's cool! IMO the desktop model vibe works perfectly!

Makes me think of the concept art with Blue Steels under the belly. Love it!

I wouldn't use Blue Steels, as by the time this entered service, they'd be ancient technology. When I do my 1/72 B.2, I may fit external stores, but they will probably be a unique design.

Cobra

this is Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i could Almost hear the Thunderbirds Theme as this Aircraft Rolls out! this is a Superb Build :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Keep up the Superb Work! dan

Crackingjob

This is great,in the 80s the RN and RAF often used a Concorde to track or intercept with it simulating Russian supersonic bombers....once it went supersonic it was hard to track on radar I can tell you...GONE😜

zenrat

Quote from: Cobra on November 15, 2018, 12:43:39 AM
...i could hear the Thunderbirds Theme...

uh, yeah, that's my phone.  Sorry.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..