It's a Comet, Jim, but.....

Started by kitbasher, November 16, 2018, 02:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dumaniac

Great concept. However I am a Luftwaffe builder. The Me 262 engines had a short operational life. Mating the pommie engines to a 262 might have been the best of both worlds. I'll add that to my to-do list in 48 scale. Thanks for the inspiration.

kitbasher

Stuff still happening with this.  Thank goodness for the extension!

Still a lot of PSR, but at least the decals are ready to go to the printer!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Further progress.  Yes it will be blue (Humbrol 25 base coat for now, overall RAF Roundel Blue when I get round to it) because there wasn't a blue dH.88, yes it will will be G-registered, and yes it will have a name.

A little additional PSR needed - race against time (thank goodness for the extension) to get the painting done but at least the markings are designed and ready to print off.

Bronco GA.1 and Meteor F.8R coming along slowly in the background.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Looks like a mini Yak-28, very sleek. :mellow:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kitbasher

plodding on with this despite missing the extended deadline.  just been reminded why I dislike vacform canopies!

EDIT: just found the original kit canopy.  as with my PRU and BEA Comets (http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,41181.msg701559.html#msg701559 and http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,40287.msg675427.html#msg675427) and as the build is no longer part of the GB to hell with cockpit detail (it's minimal anyway) - stick the canopy on, fill, sand, overpaint!

kitbasher

Jet Comet G-ALVG, a.k.a 'Blue Streak', was de Havilland's entry into the King's Cup air race of 1950.  Referred to in parts of the aviation media as the 'dH.107' (a designation never denied by de Havilland), it was more accurately the de Havilland T.K.7, designed and built by students of the de Havilland Technical School.  The Jet Comet was an exercise in merging new or emerging technology into a single airframe, and the first jet design undertaken by the de Havilland Technical School.

The students' task was to design an all-metal, single-seat race aircraft, applying modern construction techniques.  Unsurprisingly, inspiration was readily found in the Hatfield-designed dH.88 Comet, upon which the fuselage (albeit for a single pilot) was based.  Jet powerplant was a must, and the Halford/de Havilland Goblin was in plentiful supply.  With the Goblin having first flown on 5 March 1943 on fifth prototype Meteor DG206, Goblins and modified Meteor engine nacelles were a must.  The wings and the tailplane were based upon the design applied to the Messerschmitt Me 262, captured examples of which jad been extensively evaluated by the RAE after the war.

The jet Comet first flew in late 1949.  Following low key testing it was entered into the 1950 Kings Cup air race.  The overall blue colour scheme was chosen simply because none of the dh.88 Comets were so finished.  All of the 88's were named, and so G-ALVG was christened 'Blue Streak'.

Sadly G-ALVG never flew in the race, having suffered an undercarriage collapse upon landing at Pendeford airfield the day before the race began.  No one was hurt.

Footnote: the real first Comet jet (i.e. dH.106 Comet) was registered G-ALVG.  'Blue Streak' was of course the name of the de Havilland Propellers medium-range ballistic missile project, and later the first stage of the Europa satellite launch vehicle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Streak_(missile)).

PR19_Kit

Somehow I've managed to miss all the progress reports on this build since the very start.  :banghead:

Now that it's finished it looks AMAZING! A really super job Dave.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Killer, bud!!! That's fantastic. Looks really fast.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

63cpe

Looking smart and classy and fast! Amazing!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

David aka 63cpe

NARSES2