European Union Air Force roundel

Started by Kowari, November 20, 2018, 12:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowari

I am painting up some Eurofighter Typhoons for use as near-future wargaming scenery. I was going to paint them in Luftwaffe colours, but it occurred to me that hypothetical European Union Air Force markings might be a bit more generic. However, I can't decide what an EUAF roundel might look like. Would it be:
- a single five-pointed yellow star on a blue background?
- the whole circle of stars on a blue background?
- a simple blue-and-yellow roundel?
- something else entirely?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dizzyfugu

My suggestion would be a blue disc with twelve small yellow stars inside, based on the European flag. It's simple, but I am not certain how valid this design would be for real life, because it would be quite cluttered and probably lack identification quality at longer distances? A low-viz variant could then consist of only a black/grey/white circle with a ring of black/grey/white stars inside, though.

Another concept could be to retain the original national markings, but add something to them - e. g. an extra blue ring around them, plus an European flag on the fin (replacing the national flag/fin flash)?

I'd stay away from the yellow-star-on-blue-disc concept, because it would look very American. The same goes for a yellow/blue disc solution - very similar to the Ukrainian roundel.

Hobbes

<---- Ahem  (apart from the Apple logo in the middle, of course)

perttime

Blue background, yellow hammer and sickle.

... I'll get my coat ...

AS.12

Quote from: Kowari on November 20, 2018, 12:52:01 AM

- the whole circle of stars on a blue background?

I would imagine it would be that, based on the current uniform roundel:

The monochrome variant of the EU flag is like this:

So perhaps the low-viz roundel could just be the black stars?  But modern air force insignias are so totally contrary to the spirit of Geneva that frankly I don't know why they bother.  It would be quite refreshing and in-character for the EU to just stick with the high-viz variant, camouflage be damned.

Weaver

Would it be terribly cynical of me to suggest that, whatever the final marking ends up being, it'll be a messy compromise that tries to please everyone but ends up pleasing no one?  ;) :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I think Dizz is right - 12 stars in a circle would be too cluttered for aircraft roundels.

How about a blue circle with one quarter yellow.  Engage an expensive PR company to come up with an explanation of what it represents.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Cobra

you could the European Union Air Force Roundel Osean Style instead,like from Ace Combat 5! hope this Helps. Dan

Weaver

I agree that the 12 stars in a blue circle is a bad idea, but the idea that the EU wouldn't just do it anyway because it's the right bad idea is just too cute for words... ;D ;) :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on November 20, 2018, 07:09:37 PM
Would it be terribly cynical of me to suggest that, whatever the final marking ends up being, it'll be a messy compromise that tries to please everyone but ends up pleasing no one?  ;) :wacko:

It would not be in the slightest a cynical observation, just a very accurate statement of fact.   

Please note, this is NOT intended as a political remark about the EU. It is in fact a recognition that ALL large groups/committees usually end up with decisions that no one really wants.................think of/ remember your professional life and I'm sure you will find evidence to support this.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

AS.12

Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2018, 12:40:29 AM
Engage an expensive PR company to come up with an explanation of what it represents.

Much like the current flag, which was actually designed in the 1950s for the Council of Europe*.  But because the EU nabbed it in the 1980s they don't have a real explanation for what it represents of that organisation.  I think the latest explanation is "harmony of nations and people".

* the original proposed emblem was fifteen green stars on a white field, but that was changed for bureaucratic reasons:
https://fotw.info/flags/eu_ce.html#pro

Kowari

The twelve stars in a blue circle would look fantastic, but I doubt it would be particularly recognisable in the air. I hadn't considered possible confusion with Ukrainian tail flashes.

Old Wombat

A 12-pointed gold star on a blue circle.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Should pommy whiffers get a say in this?  After all, come next March it'll all be irrelevant to you...

:o

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Spey_Phantom

the 12 stars ina  blue roundel seems pretty straight forward, but an Osean AF slyle roundel would look pretty cool.

another idea is a USAF style roundel with a yellow star in a blue circle with bleu/yellow wings on each side.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.