T

U.S. EE Lightnings

Started by Tim Mansfield, December 20, 2004, 02:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Mansfield

Here's a US Navy Lightning - I was looking for a Crusader style for this one.

And an equivalent for the USAF - looking for an early F-111 look

Actually they're the same model with a different livery on each side.

This was also at SMW 2003 and 2004.

Enjoy,  Tim

Alvis 3.1

Looks nice in both schemes..neat trick with the 2 schemes on one bird..a friend does it on airliners...was also used by Derek Meddings people on UFO to show several of the same vehicle..they just painted different numbers on the sides of the S.H.A.D.O. mobiles   :D

Alvis 3.1

Captain Canada

Sweet ! Looks good in both schemes, eh ? Love the missiles on 'er as well. Sidewinders look right at home there.

I've done a few two-schemers before as well. Great way to save time !

Cheers !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Oh man, that looks awesome!

I have a long held desire to do one of my Airfix 1/48 beauties as a USAF or USN aggressor bird  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

Congratulations :)
Maybe I will add something stupid, sorry: I love the idea of the tanks on top of the wings, like the jets of the VFW-614 - but if this very true, my clapping hands go to the engineers rather than to the modeller... ;)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

tigercat2

Looks great as both USAF/USN birds - how about one in SEA cammo?

Wes W.

Geoff_B

QuoteLooks great as both USAF/USN birds - how about one in SEA cammo?

Wes W.
USAF SEA Camo Lightning

Hi Wes

There was one on the EE Sig table across from us but not sure if it was Tim's or anothers within the SIG.

G B)  

Gary

Love it Tim
You do some excellent work sir.
Which kit were you using there?

In regards to cammo, I've often wondered what the Saudi Lightnings would have looked like in a dessert style, either pink or 2 or 3 tones of sand.

Think we need to call him Lightning Tim
Getting back into modeling

nev

QuoteMaybe I will add something stupid, sorry: I love the idea of the tanks on top of the wings, like the jets of the VFW-614 - but if this very true, my clapping hands go to the engineers rather than to the modeller... ;)
You need to congratulate the fine folks at English Electric, for the Lightning really did use overwing drop tanks - no room for them under the wing.

QuoteIn regards to cammo, I've often wondered what the Saudi Lightnings would have looked like in a dessert style, either pink or 2 or 3 tones of sand

In a book by Ian Black (I think) with loads and loads of high quality shots of desert storm/shield there is a photo of a Lightning on a scrap dump at a Saudi airfield in 2 tone desert camo.  Looks pretty cool, I'll see if I can did it out  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

Quotesomething stupid, sorry: I love the idea of the tanks on top of the wings, like the jets of the VFW-614 - but if this very true, my clapping hands go to the engineers rather than to the modeller... ;)
Yes, I apologize :( : the what-if smile was not concerning the tanks, sorry... Will somebody try the same on a F-16 or Mirage? :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Swamphen

QuoteThink we need to call him Lightning Tim
I'll second that!  ^_^  

The Rat

QuoteWill somebody try the same on a F-16 or Mirage?
Well, there were those funky over-wing missile rails on the Jaguar!  ^_^  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Hobbes

Quoteoverwing drop tanks
Something of a contradiction, I'd say. Unless Lightning pilots were expected to invert before ditching the tanks.

Ollie

The airflow will pretty much take care of the tanks when they are released.

I know that the Ouragan (or was it the Mystère...) had lots of problems with the tanks on the tips, they would separate and kit the tail.  The great Kosta Rozanoff, a splendid test pilot who died testing the Super Mystère (IIRC) had lots of troubles with them.

elmayerle

Quoteoverwing drop tanks
Something of a contradiction, I'd say. Unless Lightning pilots were expected to invert before ditching the tanks.
I think "overwing jettisonable tanks" is probably a technically more acurate term, but "overwing drop tanks" certainly conveys the basic concept.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin