F-106F circa 2021...

Started by ssdunkel@me.com, November 29, 2018, 08:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssdunkel@me.com

Aaaaand my next project...

Think: F-106F Block 70 circa 2021

This keeps evolving as I go along. I'm thinking now that in terms of the backstory:  this is more of a "Fighter Mafia meets LeMay halfway" kind of a design...

Imagine if the F-106 soldiered on into the late teens / early 20s.

Upgraded and modified to bolster the USAF's numbers in light of the Clinton Administration's cancellation of the F-22.

Modified with an entirely new cockpit (F-2) AESA radar, compressed carriage AMMRAM and AIM-9X missiles, canards, and a full thrust-vectoring F-110 engine.

kerick

This is right up my alley!
Will you do anything with the intakes? Maybe F-15/14 style? That cockpit looks like a great fit.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

KiwiZac

I love it when I get to return one of my catchphrases from the old days: DELTA CANAAAAAAARD!!!!!

Brilliant idea! I'm excited to see how you go!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Dizzyfugu

The cockpit transplant looks VERY promising. But I must say that the canards on the air intakes look "not right" to me, as it they were placed too far back? It's just a personal impression, but what about extending/moving the intakes a bit forward (and maybe mod the intake shape, e. g. with a raked contour)?
Nevertheless, great idea (since there have been a lot of such upgrade designs for the F-106, even naval versions), and I am looking forward to the paint scheme. The Dart should look cool in an Egypt One scheme?

Gondor

The fin looks way too small to me. I would say that any change has to have at least the same surface area as the old fin and probably more f you are incorporating thrust vectoring which will probably require more control.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on November 30, 2018, 03:14:34 AM
The fin looks way too small to me. I would say that any change has to have at least the same surface area as the old fin and probably more f you are incorporating thrust vectoring which will probably require more control.
Gondor

Agree, I didn't recognize the F-16 transplant. Looks quite small for the large F-106?

Snowtrooper

Watching this with great interest. F-106 is a lovely plane and this modernization seems to do it justice :thumbsup:

ssdunkel@me.com

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 30, 2018, 03:38:56 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 30, 2018, 03:14:34 AM
Gondor

Agree, I didn't recognize the F-16 transplant. Looks quite small for the large F-106?

All of my research points to the suggestion that TVC engine nozzles are used to supplement rudder input, thus allowing a smaller rudder, equating to reduced drag and RCS.

On the X-31, there was a proposal to remove the rudder altogether, as the TVC would take over the function of the rudder.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/X-31/ED94-42734-6.html

ssdunkel@me.com

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 29, 2018, 11:55:51 PM
The cockpit transplant looks VERY promising. But I must say that the canards on the air intakes look "not right" to me, as it they were placed too far back? It's just a personal impression, but what about extending/moving the intakes a bit forward (and maybe mod the intake shape, e. g. with a raked contour)?
Nevertheless, great idea (since there have been a lot of such upgrade designs for the F-106, even naval versions), and I am looking forward to the paint scheme. The Dart should look cool in an Egypt One scheme?

I see your point. In my head, the intakes on the F-106 are SO sexy. They remind me of the proposed MACH 3 F-4. 

https://tacairnet.com/2015/06/18/redeveloping-the-f-4-phantom-ii-into-a-mach-3-fighterspy-plane/

As for the canards, I am going for an "Atlas Cheetah / Kfir" style layout (albeit with "live" canards, not just enlarged forward strakes), keeping in mind that with the canards mounted on the sides of the nose, during hi-Alpha maneuvering, they might occlude airflow into the engines, as they discovered during the actual design consideration of the F-106E back in the 60's.

jalles

This is sure looking promising. The cockpit blend looks great, and personally I like the canard position.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how this one come together.  :thumbsup:

kerick

You have this well thought out. Carry on! I'll be keeping track of this one.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Air21

For intakes I'd look at the different diverterless intakes (f-16, f-35, j-10).  On the F-16 testbed it saved a considerable amount of weight and reduced the rcs.  The F-106 already had internal weapons carry which is great too!

:thumbsup:

comrade harps

Whatever.

ssdunkel@me.com

Lots of work done on this girl tonight.

I'm evolving the backstory as well. I'm thinking "multi-staged" block improvement to explain the configuration. The setting is this:

PACAF squadron, forward deployed, 2021 timeframe.

Primary base of operation: Guam
Engagement area: Straights of Taiwan

Complication: minimal tanker support, out-numbered by a technilogically inferior force, 5th day of war, no need for LO operations.

ssdunkel@me.com

Some progress...

I'm thinking a revised nose-cone, more akin to the F-22 / F-35. Commensurate with an AESA radar. Vertical stabilizer has been revised, shrank with the same sweep angle as the wing, I'm going to extend the root I think. Cockpit has been blended, now I'm working on filleting the IRST and canard mounts.

For the astute observer, you will notice the F-16 gas cans and LOTS of missile rails. More backstory on that later... ;-)

Thoughts?