P-51P-208A

Started by Tophe, December 01, 2018, 12:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Thanks!
The new sanding is done, and the construction goes on:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Going on: sanding, cutting, putty again...

Tophe

Sanding was the end of hardwork, now building is fast...

Dizzyfugu

Are the forward/backward wings intentional or just artistic expression?  :o

Tophe

1/ You are right, the port wing is inverted (front/rear upside/down)
2/ This was not intentional but a mistake of mine
3/ I will not change it: for me, this is funny/crazy, very what-if
4/ You and me have not the same principles for what-if spirit, you are rather realist while I am a complete dreamer/mad-one...

PS. Do you know how the supercritical profile was invented? An almost normal profile was tested in wind-tunnel and brought unexpectedly wonderful results, then doing it again provide no good results, and again: bad, so the wind-tunnel technician was questioned "what happened the fist time??" and he shyly admitted "I made a mistake, sorry, mounting upside down", this was checked and confirmed, and optimized into a new great standard! wrong/crazy may be good...

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on January 15, 2019, 05:03:53 AM
3/ I will not change it: for me, this is funny/crazy, very what-if
4/ You and me have not the same principles for what-if spirit, you are rather realist while I am a complete dreamer/mad-one...

PS. Do you know how the supercritical profile was invented? An almost normal profile was tested in wind-tunnel and brought unexpectedly wonderful results, then doing it again provide no good results, and again: bad, so the wind-tunnel technician was questioned "what happened the fist time??" and he shyly admitted "I made a mistake, sorry, mounting upside down", this was checked and confirmed, and optimized into a new great standard! wrong/crazy may be good...

I didn't know that about the supercritical wing.  :)  Thanks!  Also - and forgive me for this - it took me a while to warm up to your style of building.  However, now that I'm used to how you do things, I look forward to seeing 'what you're doing this time' because it always very different and very original - and there's far too little of that in this world. 

Also, you've given me some ideas - shaken my mind loose from my normal ruts, so to speak - and that is a priceless gift. 

Thank-you! 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Thanks a lot for these nice words...
Just remember that the serious way is sane, mine is crazy...

Now, for finishing this model: I have not yet glued the booms but I think I will start the painting before, it will be fragile after gluing.

Tophe

First layer of sky-blue paint on the underside:

Tophe

"Seriously", the P-51P-208 is taking shape now...

Yes, yes, this was/is/would-be a Mustang, just a little special... :unsure: :-\ ;D

ericr

a very nice story indeed !  ;D ;D ;D

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That just improves its asymmetry, doesn't it?  :thumbsup: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 09:56:57 AM
That just improves its asymmetry, doesn't it?  :thumbsup: ;D
I fear this is not improvement but directing to a crash... in real life, but on my shelf there is no danger. ;D

Tophe

When I touched the model, the booms broke down, felling apart from the wing... :-\ :angry:
I must confess I made a mistake: :-\ I cut the sprues too short to become booms (I should not have taken the P-51 sprues but from some other kit) : so not enough distance between propeller and tailplanes, too fragile wing-booms attachment. I tried to reinforce this attachment (see below) but this is very ugly, I hope it will be invisible from the normal angles of view, standing... :-\

Tophe