Bugatti Royale Phaeton

Started by zenrat, December 01, 2018, 02:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Bugatti Royale Phaeton

For 2018 the Cannonball Run organisers limited entries to those powered by in-line engines.
Javelin Engineering, believing in the epithet "you can't beat cubes" commenced work on a Bugatti Royale.

Bugatti Royale 033 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Bugatti Royale 027 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The 12.7 litre engine has been modified with a DOHC cylinder head (made in house) and a 14:71 supercharger.  In order to take the extra power the chassis has bee extensively braced and upgraded to independent suspension at both ends.  Power is put down on the road through all four wheels via super single truck wheels and tyres while he whole thing is hauled up by a disc brake on each corner.

Bugatti Royale 022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Bugatti Royale 014 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Bugatti Royale 008 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

A long range fuel tank has been fitted in the boot while tools, doughnuts, an espresso machine and spare wheels are carried in the back under the tonneau cover.

This one's for scale.
Bugatti Royale 005 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model

Italeri 1/24 Bugatti Royale Coupe Napoleon.
Scratch built cylinder head, inlet manifold and exhausts.
Scratchbuilt gearbox.
AMT monster truck transfer case.
Scratchbuilt suspension using resin Ford 9" differentials.
Monogram High Roller Chevelle wheels and tyres.
Resin brake rotors and calipers.
Kit body cut down into a phaeton.
Tonneau from tissue and PVA
Seats from my parts boxes.
Eduard PE seatbelts.

Bugatti Royale 001 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
And yes, the exhaust is held on with blu tac while the glue dries.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

A gorgeous looker from the days when they knew how to impart car designs with style  :thumbsup:

You've done a fantastic job on those tyres mate. They look exceptionally realistic  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Old Wombat

I would quote Julie Andrews from "Mary Poppins" but that would just be ... wrong!

So: Superb build, Fred! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Chris - vinyl tyres sanded with sponge sanding blocks to remove mould lines.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 01, 2018, 02:30:27 AM
You've done a fantastic job on those tyres mate. They look exceptionally realistic  :bow:

I was just going to comment the same thing, first time I've seen tires looking like tires should look.

Cracking job there Fred --  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

loupgarou

Apart from the wondrousness of the ensemble, the tires, as any have noted, are more realisitic than usual.
Did you use some earth/sand colour in the tires grooves and then wiped it away?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

dumaniac

Weaver

The perfect blend of crazy and beautiful... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub: :wub: :mellow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Thanks folks.

The lighter coloured residue in the tyre treads is a mixture of light grey primer, white undercoat and finely ground styrene.
I could spout some bollocks about how I make up a custom mixture which I carefully brush into the treads using a 0000 paintbrush and a jewellers loupe but in fact it's just the residue of previous work which is left on the sponge sanding block.
I always sand the treads of vinyl tyres to remove flash and to make them look "roaded" but i'll be doing so with my dustiest sponge block in future to try and get this effect again.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2018, 02:50:12 AM

I always sand the treads of vinyl tyres to remove flash and to make them look "roaded" but i'll be doing so with my dustiest sponge block in future to try and get this effect again.

A serendipitous find then  :thumbsup: What you need to do now is market old sanding blocks at model shows at a £5 a go. If you don't someone will sell them as "purpose made tyre sanding blocks. Give your tyres that ultra realistic look :thumbsup:;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm