Making the Sea Duck

Started by TheChronicOne, December 05, 2018, 12:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Logan Hartke

You can get a 1/72 Sikorsky JRS-1 (S-43) for $50 and you should be able to use the fuselage, engines, props, & floats for the project from that kit. That plus booms from a 1/72 P-61 would get you the major components, I'd think. The source for the wings would be up to the builder, as well as the struts for the floats. The good news is that you're just using these for parts and the detail from the cartoon is very low. So you can get by with some pretty crappy and incomplete models for source kits. 1/72 scale P-61 kits can be $20 online for what you need them for here.

I remember thinking along those lines when my dad came home one day with a hideous 1/48 Lindberg Ju 87B Stuka. It was awful, looked nothing like the real thing. That being said, as cheap as it was, it would be the perfect basis for a Vought V-187 based on my profiles. You could trash 3 of those things before you approached the price of a real model.

Cheers,

Logan

TheChronicOne

Now that's more my speed. I have a P-61 in the stash already, too, so that helps.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Didn't CMR do one of the Sikorski's back in the day ? I've got a memory of one with a lovely profile on the header card. Sure it was CMR ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

The Sword Sikorsky S-43 in 1/72 should be cheaper. I have one and noted paying 12 euros for it.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TheChronicOne

As a matter of fact, I found one of those yesterday up for auction. I may bid on it if it stays in the price range it is in now. I also found some Special Hobby kits but they're going for over $100.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:    ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on December 07, 2018, 07:35:09 AM

The Sword Sikorsky S-43 in 1/72 should be cheaper. I have one and noted paying 12 euros for it.

Oh, I didn't know about all those Sikorskies. One would make a good pairing with an Empire Boat for sure.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 07, 2018, 06:19:16 AM
Didn't CMR do one of the Sikorski's back in the day ? I've got a memory of one with a lovely profile on the header card. Sure it was CMR ?

They did the S-38 and S-39.

TheChronicOne

Thank you, TC! 

Hey, y'all, how about this thing as a possible donor for the forward section? Nose and cockpit area? Aside from ol' boy with his gun, everything forward of the wings at least bears a resemblance..

Naturally some work would have to be done, but hey.... 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 07, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 07, 2018, 06:19:16 AM

They did the S-38 and S-39.

Thought they did, cheers mate  :thumbsup:

That old Airfix Walrus boxart brings back some memories  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 07, 2018, 06:11:01 PM
Thank you, TC! 

Hey, y'all, how about this thing as a possible donor for the forward section? Nose and cockpit area? Aside from ol' boy with his gun, everything forward of the wings at least bears a resemblance..

Naturally some work would have to be done, but hey....

Good old Shag-bat!  :)  I wonder what one would be worth today, in or out of flying condition?

Sorry - back to the thread.  I think one of these'd a be a good donor for the forward fuselage.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Shag-bat huh? lol    I'd still like to have a couple just to have even if they wind up not being used for this specific project.

Meanwhile, looking at the artwork I'm wondering which gunner has it worse....  ol' boy in the nose simply for being in such a place or ol' boy behind the flaming engine that depending on which way the plane is flying through the air could be getting broiled.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Artwork like that would have stopped me buying the kit back when I was an impressionable youth.  I wanted models of planes that were winners.  Not those that could be bested by a U boat.

Fantastic painting though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

The engine on the Walrus agrees with you and has an alarmed look on his face.

Consolation prize: perhaps the near miss on the uboat was enough to do it in!
-Sprues McDuck-