Making the Sea Duck

Started by TheChronicOne, December 05, 2018, 12:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

US-Airfix artworks, very different from the original UK ones, were quite truculent and, in my taste, dreadful.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 08, 2018, 05:31:09 PM

Consolation prize: perhaps the near miss on the uboat was enough to do it in!

Probably close enough to cause substantial damage to the pressure hull, although it may actually be a direct hit on the water line. Most subs were sunk by the action of the pressure wave rather than a direct hit by either aircraft or ships.

The front gunner's Lewis still seems to be trailing smoke, so he obviously had a pop on the way past.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 09, 2018, 12:45:33 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 08, 2018, 05:31:09 PM

Consolation prize: perhaps the near miss on the uboat was enough to do it in!

Probably close enough to cause substantial damage to the pressure hull, although it may actually be a direct hit on the water line. Most subs were sunk by the action of the pressure wave rather than a direct hit by either aircraft or ships.

The front gunner's Lewis still seems to be trailing smoke, so he obviously had a pop on the way past.

An explosion, underwater, causes a hole in the water - a hole filled with water vapour.  Water pressure then causes the hole to collapse, violently, which then 'rebounds', causing the hole to re-form (albeit a bit smaller due to lesser energy available), and so on until the available energy is exhausted. The duration of this cycle is measured in micro-seconds. 

When the explosion-hole is formed near a solid object such a a ship's hull, the hole will actually migrate to that object, where the collapsing and reforming of the hole causes a series of unspeakably violent blows to the object, for the duration of the collapse-reform cycle.  This usually causes a ship's hull to fail, and is why a near-miss is usually more effective than a direct hit - except in Battleships.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Quote from: loupgarou on December 09, 2018, 12:11:45 AM
US-Airfix artworks, very different from the original UK ones, were quite truculent and, in my taste, dreadful.
All of (or most of?) mine aren't even art work, rather a picture of the finished model. Quite boring indeed! As a stand alone, they look nice all stacked up, but can't hold a candle to the old art work when it comes to actually looking at the covers.
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 07, 2018, 06:11:01 PM

Looks like a cover for a Commando (For Action and Adventure) or War Picture Library comic (used to buy them religiously as a youngster). :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on December 09, 2018, 01:52:15 AM

An explosion, underwater, causes a hole in the water - a hole filled with water vapour.  Water pressure then causes the hole to collapse, violently, which then 'rebounds', causing the hole to re-form (albeit a bit smaller due to lesser energy available), and so on until the available energy is exhausted. The duration of this cycle is measured in micro-seconds. 

When the explosion-hole is formed near a solid object such a a ship's hull, the hole will actually migrate to that object, where the collapsing and reforming of the hole causes a series of unspeakably violent blows to the object, for the duration of the collapse-reform cycle.  This usually causes a ship's hull to fail, and is why a near-miss is usually more effective than a direct hit - except in Battleships.  ;)

Oh thanks for that  :thumbsup: Far more complicated then I thought. Shame the "old man" isn't around otherwise I could have blinded him with the science of what was actually happening when they dropped all those depth charges back on the Atlantic Convoy runs  ;D

I now understand why some depth charges were fired from the ship but it does make me wonder what effect the ones that were rolled over the stern had on the ship it'self ? Or was the delay such that the ship was out of the danger zone ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Destroyers & corvettes, especially, had to go into the docks to have their prop shafts replaced quite frequently ... or soldiered (sailored? :unsure:) on with uncomfortable shudders at speed & bilge pumps going all the time because of leaking shaft seals.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Ties in with some of Dad's stories  :thumbsup:

I know he was quite happy when he was sent on a 3 month AAA gunnery course in South Africa. Wasn't quite so happy when he ended up putting that training to use against kamikazes in the BPF  :angel: