New Project Attack twin turboprop -Build started last page

Started by NSXone, December 19, 2018, 04:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on January 04, 2019, 02:03:40 AM
Here you go.  Now everyone can see what everyone is talking about.

Don't have permission for that, mate.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 04, 2019, 12:22:13 AM
Pointy nose is an experimental prototype. ;)

And a Pointy Nose also looks betterer and cooler... 'sides, if a semi-ground attack aircraft such as the Hawk has a Pointy Radar Nose, why can't this one?

zenrat

Interesting.
I can see the pics in my post, when Womby quotes it and when Rickshaw quotes it.
But I can't see it when Womby and Rickshaw post it themselves.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Also weird, I can only see the images in my post ... Most peculiar! :unsure:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 03, 2019, 08:32:22 PM

.....and exhausts not facing into the airflow.

The Handley-Page Heyford's Kestrels had exactly that for some obscure reason. I've never found a rational explanation why they did that.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 04, 2019, 05:32:14 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 03, 2019, 08:32:22 PM

.....and exhausts not facing into the airflow.

The Handley-Page Heyford's Kestrels had exactly that for some obscure reason. I've never found a rational explanation why they did that.

Weird.  Definitely won't work in a gas turbine though. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

After another look at your artwork I think a turretted cannon a'la the OV-10 might be a good option.  Possibly even retractable or to go a few years forward even a directed energy weapon.  Would take a nice big APU to run the generator but looks like plenty of room. 

jcf

Put the image up in my SmugMug account as Google Drive doesn't give a proper image share url.

NSXone

Wow, I really didn't expect that much feedback.  THANK YOU ALL!

As for the canards, I haven't really decided where to place them quite yet.  I was actually thinking of a spot behind and above the pilot (since he shouldn't be too worried about rearward visibility.)  That is an easy issue to deal with when the time comes.  As for the engines, the current exhaust port will be the intake and for the exhaust, I might just have it exit the outside aft portion of the nacelle.   

With the cockpit, I actually had a preliminary design with a cockpit/forward fuse of a training aircraft and even a KA-50 Attack Helicopter, but I really like the F-107 aesthetics.

For armament a couple 37mm AA guns and a 57mm A/T autocannon should do the job.  (Or at least look the part)  Those are 1/72 kits as well.

Thanks again for all the awesome feedback.  Great Forum!!  As soon as I finish my MadMax kitbash, I will get started on this!  BTW - where would be the appropriate place to post pictures of a vehicle build like that? 

AeroplaneDriver

I'd probably put a Mad Max build in Sci-Fi.  Thats where a lot of the post-apocalypse stuff here seems to find its home. 

Tophe

Very pleasant design, congratulations!

Quote from: NSXone on January 04, 2019, 03:17:27 PM
for the canards, I haven't really decided where to place them quite yet.  I was actually thinking of a spot behind and above the pilot (since he shouldn't be too worried about rearward visibility.)  That is an easy issue to deal with when the time comes. 
Uh, be informed that some of us are not realists, we are building pleasant objects "like airplanes" but not true-machines to be piloted and used actually, aesthetics may be more important than efficiency! ;D

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 04, 2019, 02:44:01 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on January 04, 2019, 12:22:13 AM
Pointy nose is an experimental prototype. ;)
And a Pointy Nose also looks betterer and cooler... 'sides, if a semi-ground attack aircraft such as the Hawk has a Pointy Radar Nose, why can't this one?
There is the same subsonic pointy nose on the German version of the Alpha-Jet. If I remember well, the Heller kit 1/72 propose the 2 nose versions.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NSXone on January 04, 2019, 03:17:27 PM

As for the canards, I haven't really decided where to place them quite yet.  I was actually thinking of a spot behind and above the pilot (since he shouldn't be too worried about rearward visibility.)  That is an easy issue to deal with when the time comes. 

The canards should really be at a different level from the wings, looking at the plane side-on. This does, in theory limit where they can be placed, but it's your model, after all.
Maybe just behind & under the rear cockpit window?

I would also think about making the fins a wee bit longer, so they can prevent propeller strike - or make the props a slightly smaller diameter.