My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Wouldn't that be rocket engineering?  ;) ;D

Not added to the library, rather borrowed from the Everett Public Library.  :thumbsup:

scooter

On Kindle, one of those 99 cent/pence/groats/etc. deals: United States of Vinland: Four Tales of Norse America.  An alt-history wherein the Norse decide to stay and colonize North America in the mid 10th Century, to escape the White Christ and honor the All-father and old gods.  An interesting read so far.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2019, 07:37:55 AM
Well, delete my above posting!

My books were delivered, but not to me. They went to a neighbour, who kindly just bought them round this afternoon, but as she's been away since New Year she has no idea when they were delivered.  :thumbsup:

My address is clearly on the label so some delivery driver can't read.

Grovelling apology email sent to The Works...........

All three books are WONDERFUL, but I'm going to need some serious revision of my engineering knowledge before I understand the Saturn V book, it's SERIOUSLY complicated!  :o

You might like to go looking for videos by Scott Manley on Youtube. He's pretty much stopped doing KSP now (he's basically done everything there is to do in the game) and does videos about space, rocketry and astronomy. Lots of interesting stuff re rocket engineering (check out the video on exotic rocket fuels... :o)

https://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg

Also check out Amy Shira Teitels' Vintage Space channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw95T_TgbGHhTml4xZ9yIqg

And lastly, Winchell Chung (the guy who did the original artwork for the Ogre game) runs an excellent website about hard sci-fi which includes loads of technical detail about how real rocketry and relelvent physics works to help hard SF writers get it right: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 10, 2019, 02:15:03 PM

Not added to the library, rather borrowed from the Everett Public Library.  :thumbsup:

How are they Jon?
I'm interested in the Erebus book having read The Terror by Dan Simmons (it bugs me that to get the relevant info on the interweb I had to google "the terror book" in order to not get the TV show) and the Harley Earl book, well, who wouldn't be interested in that.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Discovering Scarfolk by Richard Littler

Scarfolk is a town located somewhere in Northern England which is locked in a perpetual 1970s dystopia of concrete, overbearing government, disturbing public service notices, raging xenophobia, and DEFINITELY NOTHING SATANIC GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES.

Remember your British childhood of scary TV shows like Children of the Stones, eerie electronic music and toys that scared you instead of comforting you? No? Well there might be a reason for that....

Discovering Scarfolk is available from all good bookshops, and probably most of the bad ones too.

Scarfolk Council has a website: https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/
It also has a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/Scarfolk, as does the historian/perpetrator of the town, Richard Littler: https://twitter.com/richard_littler

It's seeped out into the real world too, as per this thread: https://twitter.com/Scarfolk/status/1079323053019017216
If you don't have Twitter, this is a news article about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44911209

For more information, please re-read this post.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on January 17, 2019, 02:03:27 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 10, 2019, 02:15:03 PM

How are they Jon?
I'm interested in the Erebus book having read The Terror by Dan Simmons (it bugs me that to get the relevant info on the interweb I had to google "the terror book" in order to not get the TV show) and the Harley Earl book, well, who wouldn't be interested in that.

Both are quite good.  :thumbsup:

Nick

Quote from: Weaver on January 17, 2019, 02:17:19 AM
Discovering Scarfolk by Richard Littler

Scarfolk is a town located somewhere in Northern England which is locked in a perpetual 1970s dystopia of concrete, overbearing government, disturbing public service notices, raging xenophobia, and DEFINITELY NOTHING SATANIC GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES.

For more information, please re-read this post.

They published a Scarfolk book?!  :o  :thumbsup:

I've just used my last Amazon voucher  :banghead:  I shall report myself to the relevant Ministry.

zenrat

Thanks Jon.  I will add them to my list.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Two comments:-

1.  I have just finished reading EREBUS that I was given by Madame R as a Christmas present.  Strongly recommended!!

2.  Charity bookshop in Leominster yielded a cheap, pristine copy of  M J Whitely "Cruisers of World War Two"  Argentina to USA, via France , Poland , Siam etc.  A very comprehensive volume.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

In town earlier today so I popped into The Works and came out with

Haynes - NASA Saturn V 1967-1973 (Apollo 4 to Apollo 17 & Skylab)

Reduced from £22.99 to £6.00

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

British Secret Projects 3: Fighters 1935 -1950
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

A couple of ebay purchases arrived today

Luftwaffe Secret Projects Ground Attack & Special Purpose Aircraft; This completes my collection of that section of Secret project books  :thumbsup:

Hawker Aircraft since 1920 by Francis K Mason

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

AeroplaneDriver

Picked up these two at Barnes & Noble

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

an Ebay win

The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service

Gondor

Gondor

A delivery today of

From HULL, Hell AND Halifax
An Illustrted History of No.4 Group 1937-1948

Gondor