My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Two arivals today, one from eBay and the other from Amazon

Typhoon to Typhoon by Chris Gibson  looks to have lots of great things to build

The Turret Fighters, Defiant and Roc by Alec Brew, part of the Crowood Aviation Series  and great reserch for a few ideas I have

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

From sideshowbob9's sale, the Privateer book and the Beriev book, both of which count as 'amazing' in my opinion.  :o

The Privateer books has loads of detail pics of internal panels, instruments and turrets etc. and the operation history section proves just how much the USN crews loved their pinup nose art!  ;) ;)

The Beriev book is fascinating, even if 99.9% of it is in Russian. The plans and photos are wonderful and show just how talented Mr. Beriev and N A Lavro, the Chief Designer are.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Ordered on Amazon:

The Caine Mutiny and British Warship Losses in the Ironclad Era 1860-1919 (coming from the UK)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Picked up this morning from my local bookshop (Amazon was cheaper, but by the time I'd added postage not by much) -

"Napoleon's Waterloo Army : Uniforms and Equipment"
Osprey's "European Ironclads 1860-1875 - the Gloire sparks the great ironclad arms race"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

via the local bookstore: Chris Gibson's 'Typhoon to Typhoon'

Nick

Went into WHS last night for a copy of Custom PC and their annual Mince Pie Review (hint: avoid Hestons Cherry and Chocolate Mince Pies).  ;D

I also came away with British Cold War Stories. A collection of 17 stories in magazine format by The Aviation Historian. Fascinating range of topics:
How to Build a Sea Hawk
Vulcans over Vegas
Flying the Lightning
Borrowing a US carrier in the Falklands
the story that grabbed my eye - the South Bank Heliport right next to where McColm and I currently work.

It'll keep me busy over Christmas.  :thumbsup:

scooter

Quote from: Nick on December 19, 2019, 02:19:26 PM
Went into WHS last night for a copy of Custom PC and their annual Mince Pie Review (hint: avoid Hestons Cherry and Chocolate Mince Pies).  ;D

I also came away with British Cold War Stories. A collection of 17 stories in magazine format by The Aviation Historian. Fascinating range of topics:
How to Build a Sea Hawk
Vulcans over Vegas
Flying the Lightning
Borrowing a US carrier in the Falklands
the story that grabbed my eye - the South Bank Heliport right next to where McColm and I currently work.

It'll keep me busy over Christmas.  :thumbsup:

Will that include building a 1:1 Sea Hawk?  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

Britain and the bomb: technology, culture and the Cold War, by JW Nuttall

Covers the period when the deterrent task shifted from the RAF to the RN. There's a TSR.2 on the cover...

Gondor

Picked up an eBay win this afternoon,

Crowood Aviation Series; V-Bombers, Valiant, Vulcan and Victor by Barry Jones

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

Christmas haul so far, all a very similar theme:
Britain and the Bomb: Technology, Culture and the Cold War by WJ Nutall
Skybolt: At Arm's Length by Nicholas Hill
Blue Streak: Britain's Medium Range Ballistic Missile by John Boyes

I've a friend who's studying for a Cold War themed PhD who I'm sure will be borrowing these.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Key Pub's bookazine on '100 years of BA'.

Very colourful and nostalgic, and even includes a COLOUR pic of a Shorts Empire flying boat on the Nile!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Second haul when the in-laws came other:
Typhoon to Typhoon by Chris Gibson.  Looks great, gave it the quickest lookover before being called back to Christmas duties.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Haynes Blackburn Buccaneer
Wally Funk Race to Space.

zenrat

Xmas presents.
20191225_112755 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
20191225_112738 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
20191225_112745 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Vietnam book is huge - 3 inches thick.  I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it.  The sound barrier one posits that Yeager was beaten to it by Welch and Chastise looks beyond the (albeit heroic) exploits of the aircrews to the other impacts of the mission.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

A couple of cool titles there, Fred!  :thumbsup: