My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I am currently reading Gerard Fiennes - I Tried To Run a Railway
Incredible, fascinating, baffling, very revealing. No wonder he got the sack after writing that!

It does show very well the long lost days of old school railways and how all the changes came in - diesels and containers etc.
He has a rather terse writing style. I get the feeling the reader is expected to know all the jargon and people and places without being told. The name William Hoole comes up a few times and I had to double check that he meant Driver Bill Hoole who held the steam speed record at 113mph.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 11, 2019, 07:24:31 AM
Was early for a lunch date yesterday so went into Waterstones. Inevitably walked out with a book.

Hungary - A short History by Norman Stone

Before or after you had eaten?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Thanks to whomever put me on to this ? Saw the post and went online looking straight away. Can't wait to peruse it !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

From a deceased Friend's collection:
A biography of Eric Morecambe: "You'll miss me when I'm gone." by his Son.

An early Christmas present for Mum - but I may have to borrow it for 'Quality Control' purposes... ;D

zenrat

Australia's Vietnam: Myth vs History by Mark Dapin.
Just finished this. The blurb on Readings website can put it better than I can.

In Australia's Vietnam, Dapin reveals that every stage of Australia's commitment to the Vietnam War has been misunderstood, misinterpreted and shrouded in myth. From army claims that every national serviceman was a volunteer; and the level of atrocities committed by Australian troops; to the belief there were no welcome home parades until the late 1980s and returned soldiers were met by angry protesters.
Australia's Vietnam is a major contribution to the understanding of Australia's experience of the war and will change the way we think about memory and military history.

While the last sentence maybe over-eggs it a bit I did find it fascinating.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

Fokker verkeersvliegtuigen (an overview of Fokker civil projects), to be used as background with the Fokker unbuilt projects materials I recently bought
To orbit and back again - how the Space Shuttle flew in space

Hobbes

scooter

From the used book bin in the USS New Jersey's gift shop yesterday: Admirals in Collision; about the ramming and sinking of HMS Victoria off Syrian Tripoli by HMS [i[Camperdown[/] during maneuvers.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on April 26, 2019, 05:24:57 AM
From the used book bin in the USS New Jersey's gift shop yesterday: Admirals in Collision; about the ramming and sinking of HMS Victoria off Syrian Tripoli by HMS [i[Camperdown[/] during maneuvers.

Coincidence or what ? BBC4 has just had a 4 parter on the history of the RN and the final episode during the week covered that very incident, the subsequent enquiry/courts martial and the consequences it had on the RN's run up to WWI.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

I've just been given (free) a copy of  THE ULTIMATE BOOK OF MILITARY MACHINES.  It carries a sticker from The Works bookshop WAS £15, NOW £4.    Avoid it!! It's not worth what I paid for it and I got it for nothing.   It will go to a charity shop next week.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Purchased at Perth today,

On Target Profiles6  North American, Candair & Commonwealth F-86 Sabre in RAF, RCAF, RAAF,SAAF, Pakisrani and Malayaian Service

Valiant Airframe Album 15  The Gloster/A.W. Meteor

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Another bookazine from the Aviation Archive series, 'X-planes of the US', and very good it looks too at first glance.

There's a strange gap in the X-Plane series around the 7-9 mark, which gives people like us LOTS of scope I'm sure.  ;)

As a 'bonus' they include the XB-70 right at the back.  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Purchased at Perth today

Valiant Airframe Album 10 The Me 163 Komet

Colors & Markings Vol 1  F-106 Delta Dart

Gondor

scooter

From Amazon: The Little Ships, book 3 of J.A. Sutherland's Alexis Carew series.   Again, read it on Kindle, but also wanted the hardcopy
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng