My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Your Royal Highnesses, Your Excellencies, my Lords, Ladies, Gentlemen,  sundry amorphous entities and  all other sentient beings:  for your delectation and delight, there has been created a new thread...... (roll of drums and fanfare of trumpets)...... "My library just grew again 2019"

Not to be used until  on or after 12:01 am on 1st January, this shiny new thread has been created in advance in order to profitably utilise a small gap in the family Rheged's schedule . Your esteemed contributions are solicited throughout 2019!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rheged

Just ordered from THE WORKS  (at  ridiculously low price  of £6 less 30%.  Yup, that's £4.20), the Haynes manual of the Blackburn Buccaneer

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on January 01, 2019, 02:14:19 AM

Just ordered from THE WORKS  (at  ridiculously low price  of £6 less 30%.  Yup, that's £4.20), the Haynes manual of the Blackburn Buccaneer

Now THAT'S good to know, thanks for the pointer.  :thumbsup:

It'll go well with my 'Buccaneer Boys' book.

[Later] Ordered, along with one for the Hurricane and the Saturn V as well.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Hard copy version of J.A. Sutherland's Into the Dark.  Ordered it Christmas Day, showed up yesterday.  And I've almost finished it again.  ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

While staying with my good friends in Northants, we went to a local shopping centre today and I came across an amazing shop called 'Magazine Heaven', and it's VERFY well named!

I spent a VAST amount on all sorts of mags for my numerous hobbies, including two of the SAM Publications aircraft books, one on the Buccaneer and one on the Tornado. Both are superb, loads of pics on all versions of both of them, and some lovely colour profiles, but........

They both include a modelling section of course, but the Bucc book ONLY covers models built from the Airfix 1/48 kit, and the Tonka book only has one 1/72 scale build! And the section is entitled 'Modelling the ****** in the popular scales'!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Come on guys, we know you're all 1/48 scale nutters at SAM but 1/72 is still THE scale in the UK!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I think what they did for the modelling section was use kits that they could get their hands on IIRC  :angry:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on January 06, 2019, 12:22:59 PM

I think what they did for the modelling section was use kits that they could get their hands on IIRC  :angry:

Gondor

They could have asked me, I've got at least a half dozen 1/72 Buccaneer kits in The Loft.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Received in the post today as I could not find one in the shops

Scale
Aircraft
Modelling

December 2018 as I was after the article on Tiger Force for my Lancaster Mk. XL that I have been slowly, glacially, been building for the last ten years

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Steel Penguin

at the Penkridge wargames show sunday,  the reprint of warhammer 40000 RT   the one I couldn't purchase new from games workshop, as new in the plastic wrapper  SCORE!  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 01, 2019, 05:03:15 AM

Now THAT'S good to know, thanks for the pointer.  :thumbsup:

It'll go well with my 'Buccaneer Boys' book.

[Later] Ordered, along with one for the Hurricane and the Saturn V as well.  ;D

So far their '3-5 working days' has stretched out to seven working days with no sign of my books. I emailed them to see what's happening and their reply said that it could take ANOTHER seven days just to reply to my email!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Doesn't fill me full of confidence. The delay is apparently '.....due to the high volume of customer service enquiries....'

No it isn't, it's due to them not having enough people there to do the job!!!!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2019, 06:02:19 AM

So far their '3-5 working days' has stretched out to seven working days with no sign of my books. I emailed them to see what's happening and their reply said that it could take ANOTHER seven days just to reply to my email! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Doesn't fill me full of confidence. The delay is apparently '.....due to the high volume of customer service enquiries....'

No it isn't, it's due to them not having enough people there to do the job!!!!

That's the type of reply I hate. "But surely you have just replied ?" is my normal response and that can kick off some interesting correspondence  :angel:. Mind you at least you got some form of reply unlike a publisher I'm currently engaged with  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Don't we all hate automatic reply messages!  At least it lets you know that your email arrived with them. I ordered my Buccaneer book from The Works as "Click and collect" at their Hereford store and it was pretty quick in arriving.

Having once  been involved in the running of the Customer Service department of a  book wholesaler, I can sympathise  both with the after Christmas overload that they are no doubt  experiencing, and with your understandable frustration. Appointing AND HOLDING ON TO good, intelligent staff who want to work providing a competent service to  customers  and not just as ill trained  zombies in an amorphous call centre is quite a challenge.

As regards dealing with publishers, I am prevented both  by the laws of libel and a degree of personal reticence from telling stories about certain companies; on the other hand Norwich Books, Canterbury Press, Lion-Hudson and Hodder and Stoughton were all a delight to deal with........at least they were 7 years ago.

PR19_Kit

Well, delete my above posting!

My books were delivered, but not to me. They went to a neighbour, who kindly just bought them round this afternoon, but as she's been away since New Year she has no idea when they were delivered.  :thumbsup:

My address is clearly on the label so some delivery driver can't read.

Grovelling apology email sent to The Works...........

All three books are WONDERFUL, but I'm going to need some serious revision of my engineering knowledge before I understand the Saturn V book, it's SERIOUSLY complicated!  :o

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2019, 07:37:55 AM

All three books are WONDERFUL, but I'm going to need some serious revision of my engineering knowledge before I understand the Saturn V book, it's SERIOUSLY complicated!  :o

Makes me want to buy that book just to find out how complicated, it's not as it it's rocket science brain surgery is it?

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on January 10, 2019, 11:12:17 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 10, 2019, 07:37:55 AM

Makes me want to buy that book just to find out how complicated, it's not as it it's rocket science brain surgery is it?

Gondor

It contains, amongst others, cross section drawings of the main rocket engines in fine detail, the fuel injection end, the exhaust end and the cooling bit in the middle. So those bit really ARE rocket science.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit