My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

From a charity shop in Stockport today, a copy of Do-It-Yourself Brain Surgery and Other Home Skills by Stewart Cowley.

A hilarious 1981 parody of DIY books, by (I think) the same author as the much-loved Terran Trade Authority Handbooks sci-fi series, that earnestly encourages you to build an ocean liner in your back garden or train combat hamsters for fun and profit. I first read this in the library at school and nearly got chucked out for giggling too loudly. I actually already have a copy, but I wasn't going to pass a better one up for 50p.

Sometimes, the ingredients lists are all you need to see where things are going. I've always like this one:

COMPLETE KAMIKAZE COURSE
You will need
A white silk scarf
Goggles
A bicycle
A sense of destiny

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Oh, now that looks like it'd be a scream! Great find!

"A Sense of Destiny"...  ;D ;D :thumbsup:

loupgarou

Sounds very interesting. Have noted it down for a search.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

I've vague memories of that from a long time ago. Never know it might turn up it my current "great search for the missing photos".  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

I think I came across those kamikaze cyclists this morning in a thick fog.  No white scarves or lights, but bicycles, goggles and a definite sense of something or other.....destiny?.....invulnerability?...stupidity?

On a more positive note Oxfam bookshop Hereford yielded Vic Flintham's  Aircraft in British Military Service since 1946......and it only cost £1.99.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

From the Crewe/Nantwich show today: Modern Combat Aircraft 15 - Hawker Hunter by Robert Jackson. One of the early '80s Ian Allen books, which I sorta collect.

You wouldn't think there'd be anything new to learn about the Hunter, would you? However it fell open at a picture of Sidewinders mounted on the gun pack, which I've never seen before... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Sidewinders is a new one on me, nice.  I've seen a pic of the same arrangement with Firestreaks along with a drawing, in Tony Butler's The Design and Development of the Hawker Hunter.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Just received an ebay purchase

Soviet Secret Projects, Fighters since 1945

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Another ebay purchase arrived today

American Secret Projects 1, Fighters, Bombers and attack Aircraft 1937-1945

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Just a handy, quick reference book "Sixty Battles - the complete battles of Napoleon"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Recently received from eBay

Tankograd-British Special No 9023

Conqueror Heavy Gun Tank

Gondor

Mossie

Haynes Blackburn/BAe Buccaneer, from The Works
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Received from Amazon y'day: Mutineer, Book 2 in JA Sutherland's Alexis Carew series; based loosely on the events that led to the mutiny aboard HMS Hermoine in 1797.  Even though I read it before on Kindle, I do like having the hardcopy available.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on April 05, 2019, 06:26:49 AM
Received from Amazon y'day: Mutineer, Book 2 in JA Sutherland's Alexis Carew series; based loosely on the events that led to the mutiny aboard HMS Hermoine in 1797.  Even though I read it before on Kindle, I do like having the hardcopy available.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Was early for a lunch date yesterday so went into Waterstones. Ineviatably walked out with a book.

Hungary - A short History by Norman Stone