My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 27, 2019, 02:21:27 PM
Another bookazine from the Aviation Archive series, 'X-planes of the US', and very good it looks too at first glance.

There's a strange gap in the X-Plane series around the 7-9 mark, which gives people like us LOTS of scope I'm sure.  ;)

As a 'bonus' they include the XB-70 right at the back.  ;D :thumbsup:

A reasonable bookazine as far as it goes. However I do feel that the author/compiler was looking for subjects that were "sexy" . In other words ones that had humans flying them.
Take the cover for example, "Aircraft with the X-FACTOR" and "70 years of X-RATED NASA aircraft".

The missing content is mostly un-maned missiles and test vehicle, also concepts that were never built, let alone flown.

There are a few exception:

X-16. Bell's competitor to the U-2 program. Think of a single seat Vaotour with VERY long wings. Only a partial mock up was built.

X-20. Boeing Dyna-Soar. Re-useable space vehicle. Never built .

X-27. Lockheed proposal for a 'light weight' export version of the F-104. Think of an F-104 with high wings and a low set tailplane. Mock up built.

X-28 Osprey. This was built and flown. It was a home-built single seat, low powered,  flying boat, intended for Civil Police work in S.E. Asia. The project was cancelled. It certainly does not fit the bill for inclusion in this listing.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Hobbes

My library will have to wait a bit longer for the next acquisition. I live in Soest, NL, but today I saw on a parcel tracking site that my latest book order has been sent to Soest, Germany instead and has to go back to the sender as 'undeliverable' :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on May 01, 2019, 09:58:32 AM

My library will have to wait a bit longer for the next acquisition. I live in Soest, NL, but today I saw on a parcel tracking site that my latest book order has been sent to Soest, Germany instead and has to go back to the sender as 'undeliverable' :banghead:

Geography's obviously not their strongest subject, but you'd think they could tell the difference between 'NL' and 'D', wouldn't you?  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Some years ago, when I ran a customer service department for a major book wholesaler, a courier firm we used delivered to  Jersey instead of Kirkwall in the Orkney Isles (1000 miles apart)  Their excuse "we had a misunderstanding regarding UK offshore addresses"         AAAAGGGGHH!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-planes
X-1 to X-60A (officially unassigned X-23, X-39, X-52, X-58 per http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/missing-mds.html)

American X-Vehicles: An Inventory—X-1 to X-50
https://history.nasa.gov/monograph31.pdf

Lockheed X-7A/7A-3/7B & XQ-5
Ramjet and missile guidance testbed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_X-7

Aerojet General X-8A/B/C/D Aerobee
Sounding rocket
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerojet_General_X-8

Bell X-9 Shrike
Testbed for GAM-63 nuclear armed stand-off missile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_X-9_Shrike

Hobbes

The BAC 3-11 - the British airbus that should have been, by Graziano Freschi

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on May 07, 2019, 12:18:17 AM

Oooh yes, I must get a copy of that, a potentially super aircraft that never got built.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

Knights Of The Air by Peter King - The story of Britains early aviators and how they rose to fame and glory. Names like AV Roe, Sopwith, Camm, all those Edwardian chaps who learnt to fly and then built their own planes.

It was sat on a shelf in Barter Books in Alnwick (the old station, a glorious building worth visiting in its own right) just begging me to buy it. Big volume that will take me ages to get through!

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 07, 2019, 12:20:44 PM

Oooh yes, I must get a copy of that, a potentially super aircraft that never got built.  :thumbsup:

I just posted a review on our sister site.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on May 18, 2019, 03:00:15 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 07, 2019, 12:20:44 PM

I just posted a review on our sister site.

I bought it, and very good it is too, at first glance anyway. Enough info in there build a convincing Three-Eleven model anyway.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

steelpillow

Bought last year but I only just discovered this topic so apologies for coming in late, Sir, and for if it has been highlighted in the past:
Michael Price; BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL Aircraft, A ProjectTech Profile, Blue Envoy Press, revised edition 2015.
When Hawker's were merged into BAe they did not stop working on supersonic Harriers and came up with this twin-tailboom beasite. Finally disbanded around the end of 1988.
The booklet covers quite a few zany projects in passing, chock full of whiffy ideas for the more advanced modeller.

Also picked up Jackson's De Havilland Aircraft since 1909, part of the excellent Putnam series, at the Gloucester model show a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers.

Weaver

From The Works: Tornado Boys (£6!)
They also have Spitfire and Hurricane original manual reprints for £cheap

From WH Smiths: British Cold War Stories bookazine. Loads of good stuff in this:

How to build a Sea Hawk
Westland Wyvern development
BEA helicopter ops from the South Bank in the 1960s
Swift procurement
Suez from the Egyptian POV
VC10 development
HS Trident development
Avro Vulcans in NZ and Las Vegas
"Sea Vixettes" used for the Royal Tournament
Journalist's ride in a Lightning
G-VTOL Harrier demonstrator
Stefan Karwowski show-flying Hunters and Bearcats
Radical US proposals to help in the Falklands
Test-flying the captured Pucara
Ditching a Nimrod R.1
50th anniversary of British Military Aviation
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: steelpillow on May 19, 2019, 11:46:43 AM
BAe P.1216: Supersonic ASTOVL Aircraft,

Wow, that's a strange-looking beastie - moreso even than the P.1214.

Weaver

Just arrived from Amazon:

Ignition!
An Informal History of Rocket Propellants
by John D. Clark

Originally published in 1972, this is an easy and amusing guide to the 'interesting' (in the Chinese curse sense of the word) business of developing and testing rocket fuels. Due to the amount of interest in space tech at the moment, it was republished a couple of years ago.

Recommended and reviewed by Scott Manley in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wLk2j7_KB0
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Decided to take advantage of a 35% off offfer from SAM publications and bought

Modellers Data File 31: The Douglas A-4 Skyhawk

Which arrived today

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....