My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on May 19, 2019, 06:13:13 PM

From WH Smiths: British Cold War Stories bookazine. Loads of good stuff in this:

Try as I might I just can't find a copy of this.

Who published it please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2019, 09:54:55 AM

From WH Smiths: British Cold War Stories bookazine. Loads of good stuff in this:

Who published it please?

Paperback: 132 page  full colour, perfect bound bookazine.
Publisher: Mortons Media Group Ltd.
ISBN: 978-1-911276-94-4

You could order it here :- https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5566/bookazine-aviation-classics-british-cold-war-stories
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Took advantage of the latest Osprey offer they sent me and had these delivered today

Duel 92 - Chinese Battleship v Japanese Cruiser. Yalu River 1894.
MAA 522 - The Khazars
CBT 39 - Russian Soldier v Japanese Soldier. Manchuria 1904-1905
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: Hobbes on May 01, 2019, 09:58:32 AM
My library will have to wait a bit longer for the next acquisition. I live in Soest, NL, but today I saw on a parcel tracking site that my latest book order has been sent to Soest, Germany instead and has to go back to the sender as 'undeliverable' :banghead:

To add insult to injury, I checked today why my order hadn't arrived yet, and it turns out I gave them the wrong address  :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on June 10, 2019, 08:53:24 AM
Quote from: Hobbes on May 01, 2019, 09:58:32 AM
My library will have to wait a bit longer for the next acquisition. I live in Soest, NL, but today I saw on a parcel tracking site that my latest book order has been sent to Soest, Germany instead and has to go back to the sender as 'undeliverable' :banghead:

To add insult to injury, I checked today why my order hadn't arrived yet, and it turns out I gave them the wrong address  :banghead:

Oh no, don't you just HATE it when that happens?  :banghead:

I hope you don't have to wait too long before it gets to you Harro.

Regards
Kit

scooter

Courtesy of Project Gutenberg, the ebook version of the 1872 vampire novel Carmilla:angel:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

More shipping woes (and on a different order this time): I ordered a copy of 'Blue Streak: Britain's Medium Range Ballistic Missile' direct from the publisher. I just got an email from 'DHL Denied Parties' (yes, really) asking me to confirm my name.

QuoteI am writing with regards to the above waybill number. I would like to assure you that DHL Express is committed to operating within all aspects of the law. Your shipment is being held  as we require further information to complete screening.

DHL Express screens all parties to a shipment against restricted party lists maintained by the United Nations (UN), European Union (EU) or USA sanctions, and a party to your shipment was either unable to be identified due to lacking information, or identified as a possible match to a name on one of the lists.

To complete screening we require the full name of the receiver including any middle names. Should this be  your  full name then we will require a copy of your passport or government issued ID 

I wonder what awaits me the next time I try to get through UK Customs...

PR19_Kit

Goodness gracious, that is truly ridiculous! What is the world coming to?

Do they think you're going to build a Blue Streak missile over there in the Netherlands?  :o :o

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Re Hobbes' postal problem, it's probably just automatic. Some database has 'missile' on a list of words and a list of names the authorities need to be worried about if they're buying things on that list of words. Some of this is due to public expectations as much as authoritarianism: after all, if it turns out that a successful terrorist bomber had bought ten tons of nitrate fertiliser in the last six months, then the 'general public' (i.e. the press  :rolleyes:) will be screaming "why didn't the authorities notice that?!!!"

Quote from: Rheged on June 08, 2019, 10:25:14 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 08, 2019, 09:54:55 AM

Who published it please?

Paperback: 132 page  full colour, perfect bound bookazine.
Publisher: Mortons Media Group Ltd.
ISBN: 978-1-911276-94-4

You could order it here :- https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5566/bookazine-aviation-classics-british-cold-war-stories

Sorry I missed this Kit - if you want to ask me about anything I post, please feel free to send me a PM: probably more likely to get my attention.

Cheers Rheged! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

Quote from: Hobbes on June 19, 2019, 08:05:07 AM
More shipping woes (and on a different order this time): I ordered a copy of 'Blue Streak: Britain's Medium Range Ballistic Missile' direct from the publisher. I just got an email from 'DHL Denied Parties' (yes, really) asking me to confirm my name.

QuoteI am writing with regards to the above waybill number. I would like to assure you that DHL Express is committed to operating within all aspects of the law. Your shipment is being held  as we require further information to complete screening.

DHL Express screens all parties to a shipment against restricted party lists maintained by the United Nations (UN), European Union (EU) or USA sanctions, and a party to your shipment was either unable to be identified due to lacking information, or identified as a possible match to a name on one of the lists.

To complete screening we require the full name of the receiver including any middle names. Should this be  your  full name then we will require a copy of your passport or government issued ID 

I wonder what awaits me the next time I try to get through UK Customs...

Arrived today without further trouble.

jcf

5 bucks each from the Extras for Sale inside the Museum of Flight library, the
non-public part. I got a tour, of the library, archives, collections etc., because
I was there to pick-up a 1930s model of a Curtiss-Wright C14R Osprey
from Curator Emeritus Dan Hagedorn that needs further resto/stabilization work.
It had been started by Jim Schubert before his death.

Gondor

Received via eBay

Haynes manual on the Blackburn Buccaneer

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Three books about Tolkien by David Day:

A Dictionary of Tolkien
The Dark Powers of Tolkien
The Heroes of Tolkien

They're novel-size books, about 3/4" thick, extensively illustrated and leather-bound with embossed covers........ £5 each from Home Sense. :o

You might be able to get them from a TKMaxx too, but I didn't see them in the one I went in today.

No idea if it's real leather (I suspect not) but it's still damend nice for the price!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Steel Penguin

from the wargames tabletop I went to
a copy of the soft back Shadowrun 1st ed rules, and the DMZ ( downtown militarized zone) box and rules, ill enjoy rereading the 1st, a very great deal  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!