My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on August 07, 2019, 04:00:30 AM
Quote from: scooter on August 06, 2019, 04:56:06 PM
Added to the library some reading on the train:

HMS Nightingale, book 4 in the Alexis Carew series

The Oracle, Clive Cussler's latest non-Dirk Pitt adventure.

Real books or e-books?
I'm a die hard tree book buyer but I can see the advantages of having a number of books on a reader.  Nothing worse that finishing your book with only half the journey done.

Both are quite physical, although I'll probably finish Nightingale on the train home. 
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

I read the first three Carew books on a Kindle (thanks to the recommendation of someone here - possibly you Scoot).  I must download the rest as they are very good.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I have a Kindle for holiday reading on the beach etc, but in the main much prefer "real" books
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Received today

Valiant Wings: Airframe & Miniature No.8 
The de Havilland Mosquito Part 1: Bomber & Photo-Reconnaissance

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Whilst down in Falmouth Cornwall I bought a copy of 'Canada's Wings 2' The Liberator and the Fortress by Carl Vincent published in 1976.
The book contains the flight crews, different Production and US Variants.
The RCAF Bomber,  Bomber Reconnaissance, Transport for both civilian and military useage.
There's a section for the nose art, colour schemes worn and line drawings of the major varieties used by the RCAF .
An interesting book that includes the equipment fitted to the Liberator and Fortress.
Plenty of Whiffing potential.

Gondor

Received today

4+ Publications   Vickers-Armstrongs Wellington

Been after this since Perth where I bought the new Airfix kit, glad to have finally got it.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scooter

In hardcopy from Amazon, the last two Alexis Carew novels: Privateer and The Queen's Pardon
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Steel Penguin

the 4 Tankograds from Ian Allen
British 9209, Bedford TM 
International 8008  Australian M1A1 Abrams  ( inspiration maybe a future chally and chief  scheme)
and American 3024 Constant enforcer 79 and 3037 Reforger73  for cold war US and allied stuff)

could have got more but other things didn't fully catch my eye
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Rheged

Robert Massey's  Dreadnought.   Absolutely fascinating book on politics in the UK and  Germany ; and the coming of the First World War.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on August 25, 2019, 05:56:31 AM
Robert Massey's  Dreadnought.   Absolutely fascinating book on politics in the UK and  Germany ; and the coming of the First World War.

As you say it is fascinating  :thumbsup:

I've often wondered what would have happened if Edward P.O.W./Edward VII had preferred the nightlife in Berlin or Vienna to that of Paris ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A 'Practical Classics' bookazine entitled 'The enthusiast's guide to Austin Rover'. All you ever wanted to know about the 1970s-80s last real British motor company.

Lots of cars I worked on, or with there, nostalgia unlimited.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

The Works  bookshops have reduced Haynes manuals for  Concorde,  the Mosquito  and The Moon (all periods, 4.5 billion years ago to the present).

I'm currently starting Bella Bathurst's THE WRECKERS, all about "impromptu personal salvage operations" on wrecks/strandings around Britain.  Her previous book  THE LIGHTHOUSE STEVENSONS, on a single family that built and organised most of Scotland's lighthouses was quite fascinating.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I got two of the 'Navy Fighters' series t the St Ives show y'day, one is the Bell HSL anti-submarine helicopter and the other the H-37 heavy lift helicopter. Anything LESS like a 'Navy Fighter' would be hard to believe but I have kits and plans for both of them.  ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2019, 12:39:28 PM
I got two of the 'Navy Fighters' series t the St Ives show y'day, one is the Bell HSL anti-submarine helicopter and the other the H-37 heavy lift helicopter. Anything LESS like a 'Navy Fighter' would be hard to believe but I have kits and plans for both of them.  ;) ;)

Those 2 are my most recent buys in that series too!
Maybe Steve Ginter intended "fighters" in the same sense as Aurora long ago, when most of its kits were marked "Famous Fighter"  ;)
But the H-37 is not even navy... :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on September 30, 2019, 12:44:39 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2019, 12:39:28 PM

Those 2 are my most recent buys in that series too!
Maybe Steve Ginter intended "fighters" in the same sense as Aurora long ago, when most of its kits were marked "Famous Fighter"  ;)
But the H-37 is not even navy... :o

The Marines had it first, as the H2S****** I think, which is why they called it 'The Deuce'. in any case it's one of the UGLIEST helicopters ever built!

Regards
Kit