My library just grew again 2019

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2018, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2019, 12:53:01 PM
Quote from: loupgarou on September 30, 2019, 12:44:39 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2019, 12:39:28 PM
I got two of the 'Navy Fighters' series t the St Ives show y'day, one is the Bell HSL anti-submarine helicopter and the other the H-37 heavy lift helicopter. Anything LESS like a 'Navy Fighter' would be hard to believe but I have kits and plans for both of them.  ;) ;)

Those 2 are my most recent buys in that series too!
Maybe Steve Ginter intended "fighters" in the same sense as Aurora long ago, when most of its kits were marked "Famous Fighter"  ;)
But the H-37 is not even navy... :o

The Marines had it first, as the H2S****** I think, which is why they called it 'The Deuce'. in any case it's one of the UGLIEST helicopters ever built!

Think of it more as a flying landing craft, Kit than a aesthetically pleasing aircaft...  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

I love the Mojave.  So ugly it's gorgeous.  I too have one in my stash.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Picked up the Latest Luftwaffe Secret Projects bookazine the other day.

Among the other interesting stuff is an article on the possibility of the Ta 152 fitted with a copy of a Napier Sabre engine  :unsure: It was more of the RLM wanting to investigate the Sabre engine rather than a proposal for a production aircraft, but given the engine problems Focke Wulf were having they did look into the possibilities. Some interesting documents in the article, need to brush up my schoolboy German  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I got the new Max Hastings about the dams raid, called 'Chastise', at a bargain price from WH Smith y'day, and I'm at page 273 out of 364 already!  :o ;D

It's a very 'in depth' study of the raid, the weapon, the people and everything else about that momentous event, but it's  pretty critical of a few aspects. 'Bomber' Harris comes over as a right ogre, very self serving and hyper critical of anyone who didn't agree with his ideas. On the other hand Barnes Wallis seems to have been one super bloke!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 01, 2019, 06:45:01 AM

Among the other interesting stuff is an article on the possibility of the Ta 152 fitted with a copy of a Napier Sabre engine  :unsure: It was more of the RLM wanting to investigate the Sabre engine rather than a proposal for a production aircraft, but given the engine problems Focke Wulf were having they did look into the possibilities. Some interesting documents in the article, need to brush up my schoolboy German  ;)

Yeah, that makes sense, "Our industry is in shambles, the Sabre is a complex bit of kit, manufacture
requires specific machine tools to get the sleeves right, sure lets copy it and put it into production".
Sounds about right for Nazi Germany.
:o :o

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 03, 2019, 03:49:44 PM

Yeah, that makes sense, "Our industry is in shambles, the Sabre is a complex bit of kit, manufacture
requires specific machine tools to get the sleeves right, sure lets copy it and put it into production".

That's OK.  You can use slave labour to build it.  That's sure to result in fantastic QC... :-\

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 03, 2019, 03:49:44 PM

Absolutely Jon.

As the article says though the RLM just wanted to check it out to see if they could learn anything from it, it was Fw who took it farther
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

I haven't bought this yet it's on my 'to buy list '; American Secret Projects 2
US Airlifters 1941-1961, by George Cox and Craig Kaston. Hardback,  208 pages £27.50

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 04, 2019, 10:37:24 AM

US Airlifters 1941-1961, by George Cox and Craig Kaston. Hardback,  208 pages £27.50

Packed full of Whiff ideas, it'll take an AGE to read it all!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2019, 02:56:02 PM

I must admit I don't even try to read all of this type of book. I dive in every now and then, but they really just sit in the library as the classic "turn to when needed" reference book. Mind you the pictures are good  ;D

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2019, 02:56:02 PM

One of my more recent buys too. AND I have read it quite quickly. VERY interesting ideas. My winner is a Douglas trimotor with bug-eyed-monster cockpit.  :wub:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Gondor

Picked up today an eBay purchase

Crowood Aviation Series: Blackburn Buccaneer recomended to me by Thorvic and after a quick flick through it I agree about how good it is.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

Haynes' Voyager 1 and 2
Hawker Siddeley Aviation and Dynamics 1960-77

Weaver

Haynes Saturn V Owner's Workshop Manual
Discounted to £7 in The Works at the moment

Looks really good: full of the kind of finicky detail that 'gee-whizz' accounts lack but true nerds pour over.
You're going to need a bigger garage if you want to actually use it though...

What if... Book of Alternative History
This is a 'Curious Minds' bookazine currently on the shelves.

It basically examines a range of historical turning points and postulates what might have happened if things had gone down differently. It's a bit shallow for my taste because they've tried to cover a lot of topics in a little depth, rather than a few more deeply, but it's still a useful set of inspirations for the sort alternative history exercises we're so fond of.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

eBook from Amazon The Maiden's War: The Griffon and the Dragon, Book One.

Read a sample of it last night on the train home, thoroughly enjoyed it and splurged this morning.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng