Started by Howard of Effingham, December 31, 2018, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on November 23, 2019, 07:23:31 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 22, 2019, 07:44:27 AM

Picked up another eBay win

1 x 1/72 Special Hobby Vautour IIN @Alamee de l@Air All Weather Fighter

Gondor

This one may be Swedish as a test aircraft as per a suggestion from my girl friend

Gondor

That is one imaginative lady!  I like the idea.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

From Ebay, Airfix 1/32nd 1912 Ford Model T

Victorian flying-machine fodder.... :wacko:

Something I didn't realise is that all these Airfix vintage cars have the same driver figure.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on November 23, 2019, 12:06:20 PM

Something I didn't realise is that all these Airfix vintage cars have the same driver figure.

This Victorian flying machine concept has me most intrigued; I shall await further developments with interest.

As for Airfix having only one driver, this is one of the millions of facts I didn't know about  their vintage cars.  I'm sure that a small adjustment of their facial hair can get round any difficulty.

jcf

QuoteVictorian flying-machine fodder.... :wacko:

Thrown in a digital gauge and truly confuse most people.  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Is he the same one they supplied with the Old Bill bus, flat hat, moustache and his right arm out?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Fred, those Zvezda kits are Italeri toolings.  Think the La5 is late 70s, the mig either late 80s to possibly late 90s.

Anyhoo, was gifted another Ventura Spitfire mk IXc, this time the one with the Isreali/US markings.  The former are handy, the latter about as useful as a burst balloon.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on November 23, 2019, 12:52:29 PM

This Victorian flying machine concept has me most intrigued; I shall await further developments with interest.

As for Airfix having only one driver, this is one of the millions of facts I didn't know about  their vintage cars.  I'm sure that a small adjustment of their facial hair can get round any difficulty.

The general set of ideas are the same as I came up with for the Unconventional Flying Machines GB. I did start an entry for it, but questions about the detail design plus real-life problems have kept it stalled.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46299.0

Looking at the Ford kit, I note that it has a dickie seat on the trunk and an enclosed cabin 'bathtub'. My first thought is therefore to have the cabin in the front, the pilot on the dickie seat amidships above a flapping wing mechanism, and the engine at the back.

Another idea is to convert a 1/76th double-decker tram kit into a tandem-rotor helicopter... :wacko:

My general problem with all of these is that I know too much. I tend to get bogged down in considerations of realistic mechanics and aerodynamics, instead of channeling the enthusiastic and optimistic ignorance of the 19th century artists who drew things like this:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2019, 01:00:16 PM

Is he the same one they supplied with the Old Bill bus, flat hat, moustache and his right arm out?

Not sure: it's this guy:

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on November 23, 2019, 06:49:41 PM

My general problem with all of these is that I know too much. I tend to get bogged down in considerations of realistic mechanics and aerodynamics, instead of channeling the enthusiastic and optimistic ignorance of the 19th century artists who drew things like this:

I have a similar problem with anything steam-punk having grown up with a Stationary Steam Engineer
for a Dad, and thus being exposed to the real workings and actual mechanical bits from an early age.
Because of that I'm afraid my default with steam-punk is "it doesn't work that way, none of it works
that way".
;D ;D :wacko:

Rheged

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 23, 2019, 10:32:56 PM
I have a similar problem with anything steam-punk having grown up with a Stationary Steam Engineer
for a Dad, and thus being exposed to the real workings and actual mechanical bits from an early age.
Because of that I'm afraid my default with steam-punk is "it doesn't work that way, none of it works
that way".
;D ;D :wacko:

I read that as "having grown up with a Stationary Steam Engine for a Dad" on the first pass... ;D

In much the same way, getting into Kerbal Space Program and a renewed interest in real spaceflight has spoiled a lot of space-opera for me. I just sit there going:

"Nope: spaceships don't slow down to a halt when you switch the engines off..."

"Nope: thrust axis doesn't pass through the centre of mass - you're going to go round in circles..."

etc... :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2019, 03:47:45 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 23, 2019, 02:08:03 AM

Always had a soft spot for the Vautour and must get around to building the couple I have one day. Including the resin one that Geoff found for me long before the SH ones came out  ;)

Indeed, a smart looking aeroplane.  :thumbsup:

I was Whiffing a Special Hobby Vautour kit recently, but totally mis-read the instructions, AND the pics I had of the real thing, and laboriously filled in and puttied the main landing gear bays on the outer side of the engines!  :banghead:

It's difficult to UN-do that.................

So, you're going to have to go for extra-whiffiness, then. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

bought at the ESM yesterday, both in 1:144:

AMP DHC-8-106 Dash-8 in USAF Coast Guard livery (with a great big radar array on one side of the fuselage)
Masterkit Boeing 757. A company I've never heard of, this is a short run kit using strange plastic (somewhat translucent). I'm going to use this as the basis for a Fokker F-29.

The Wooksta!

Ebay tells me I've won an original tooling Pegasus Spiteful.  Which is nice.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic