My Stash Grew Again 2019

Started by Howard of Effingham, December 31, 2018, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: scooter on December 11, 2019, 07:32:27 AM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 11, 2019, 07:16:04 AM
1/35 Tamiya Panther PkfwV for a cheap £15.

Might wind up the rivet counters and just paint it panzer grey.

Do it

Sure will with that kind of positive recommendation!
Keeper of George the Cat.

zenrat

'twas my birthday on Monday and I received, from one of my sisters (currently my favourite but that can change at xmas), a pair of Hasegawa eggplanes.  A P47 and a P51.
The 'stang will get a RW RAAF scheme while the Jug is still up in the air.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2019, 01:08:10 AM
'twas my birthday on Monday and I received, from one of my sisters (currently my favourite but that can change at xmas), a pair of Hasegawa eggplanes.  A P47 and a P51.
The 'stang will get a RW RAAF scheme while the Jug is still up in the air.
Happy birthday  Fred :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And you didn't tell us before?  :-\

We'd have deluged you with 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRED' posts!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

Panzer grey Panther is not even that far-fetched.

Base colour (ie. panzer grey or dark yellow, or green-brown and sand brown for vehicles earmarked for Afrika Korps) of German tanks was painted at the factory (except when the shift from grey to yellow was made in 1943, in which case yellow paint was supplied to repair workshops en masse and tanks were to be overpainted when they arrived for maintenance); camo pattern colours were supplied to frontline units as paste (if available), to be diluted preferably in painting oil or in practice in whatever liquid was available. As the German tank factories started running out of even paints towards the end of 1944, they reverted from dark yellow to whatever else was available: olive green intended for the camo (which in December 1944 did become the official base colour and dark yellow became the camo colour), the field grey used to paint equipment, or none at all and just leave the red(dish) anti-corrosion primer showing. And the turret and hull could in some instance have come from different factories, with the two painted in different colours (or unpainted). There would have been also the red-brown camo paint and limited amounts of old stocks of panzer grey, the pre-1940 dark brown camo colour, and the sand tones used for African front (assuming these were not poured down the drain when the use was discontinued). There are documented examples of Panthers with turret and/or hull in bare primer or green base colour, and there's anecdotal evidence of a panzer grey Tiger II in the Battle of Berlin (cf. the Panzer Colours series of books).

The later in the war you get, the more conflicting the sources become and the more wild variations in the paint schemes you start to see. Sure, there's the school of thought that adamantly claims that only officially mandated colours were ever used since the order was put on paper, and absence of evidence to the contrary is evidence of absence. Considering tanks verifiably left the factories in bare primer I would argue that this would have happened only after whatever paint at hand had already been used, and that paint might not have been the officially stipulated colour anymore. Who could exactly say what went on in the chaos that was Germany 1945? At the time documenting the exact colours of the tanks in his unit was probably not very high in the list of priorities of an average German officer, and colour film was not exactly plentiful anymore either; black and white photos are hardly conclusive evidence on the exact tone (which basically shoots down the arguments used by "officalists"; they say that olive green or red primer can be mistaken for panzer grey, but somehow the opposite would not be possible...)

So a grey Panther remains "plausible".

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 12, 2019, 03:43:27 AM
And you didn't tell us before?  :-\

We'd have deluged you with 'HAPPY BITHDAY FRED' posts!

It's not too late for the deluge to begin.....

Happy Birthday, Fred !!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Happy belated birthday Fred  :cheers:

Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2019, 01:08:10 AM
from one of my sisters (currently my favourite but that can change at xmas),

Mercenary  ;)

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Snowtrooper on December 12, 2019, 04:06:53 AM
Panzer grey Panther is not even that far-fetched.

Liberal dose of snippex applied

So a grey Panther remains "plausible".

Great! I should have some Humbrol Authentics 'Panzer Grey' somewhere in the paint store Snowtrooper which I will happily use on this. I have a few books on WW2 and two on Panzers but just don't like the sandy colors many had in the field. The kit comes with for Tamiya dodgy instructions and handily several different Panzer divisional signs......  :wacko:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Gondor

Received an eBay win this evening

1 x 1/72 Special Hobby SMB-2 Super Mystere 'Sa'ar  which will probably be real woorld but the spare parts will not.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 08, 2019, 04:28:48 PM
Well,after finishing my only 2 builds of 2019, it was time for spending money...  :wacko:
On order from various sources are the following kits to satisfy my chopper cravings:
1x Revell(Matchbox) 1/72 SA 365 Dauphin
1x Revell 1/72 EC 135 Eurocopter
1x Italeri AH-1W SuperCobra
1x AMT UH-1D Huey gunship

And after getting lucky with the numbers again, i won a Tamiya 1/48 FW-190 D-9 on the free prize draw last friday night on ISM's live show... :mellow:

Super cobra and EC 135 are here and went by the local Staples store to get some Van Gogh raw umber oil paint and a mixing tray to learn how to use this stuff for weathering and also got a roll of Tesa masking tape.

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

Quote from: Gondor on December 12, 2019, 01:20:38 PM

1 x 1/72 Special Hobby SMB-2 Super Mystere 'Sa'ar  which will probably be real woorld but the spare parts
Gondor
What  spare parts do you get with it  please  Alastair?
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gondor

Quote from: chrisonord on December 13, 2019, 02:08:03 AM

Quote from: Gondor on December 12, 2019, 01:20:38 PM

1 x 1/72 Special Hobby SMB-2 Super Mystere 'Sa'ar  which will probably be real woorld but the spare parts
Gondor
What  spare parts do you get with it  please  Alastair?
Chris

Sorry, I should have said un-used parts. These parts are for the orijonal version with the Snecma Atar rather than this boxing with the Pratt & Whitney J52 upgrade which was also used by Honduras.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Arrived in the post today another eBay purchase

1 x 1/72 Xtradecal X72307 HS Buccaneer S.2 Collection Pt1

This is the set with the South Aftican markings which could well appear somewhere else. I also like the 801 Sqn markings so they are a must for one of my Buccs whether its an Airfix kit or the CMR one I have in the stash.

Gondor