My Stash Grew Again 2019

Started by Howard of Effingham, December 31, 2018, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

yesteryday i placed an order on aliexpress (while ordering something for the missus) for 2 x Mini Hobby Models 1/144 SAAB JAS-29 Gripens, to replace the 2 i used on the Gripen conversion prototype.

(one is gone to the spares box after i broke the canopy on another, might convert it to a UCAV)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

chrisonord

Arrived  today  two cheap  hobbyboss F-86 Sabres, one  will be an in RAF service  aircraft, the other was going  to be cut up to become a two seater, but  I  think  I  will struggle  with  it to be honest.  Nevermind
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

I too received two F-86 Sabres yesterday, both 1/72. An Airfix Sabre Mk.4 and an Academy F-86E. Most of the parts will be donors for other F-86/FJ variants I plan to build.  I got these from Telford --- my friend Steve sourced them out for me.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Falcon did a vacform body conversion for the solitary two seat Sabre.  It *might* still be available but IIRC it was to go with the Heller kit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on December 21, 2019, 05:31:09 AM
Arrived  today  two cheap  hobbyboss F-86 Sabres, one  will be an in RAF service  aircraft, the other was going  to be cut up to become a two seater, but  I  think  I  will struggle  with  it to be honest.  Nevermind
Chris

There's two TF-86 conversion on the market Chris, the Falcon one is on a triple conversion sheet, and the AirModel one is also on a multi F-86 conversion sheet.

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 21, 2019, 06:42:50 AM
Falcon did a vacform body conversion for the solitary two seat Sabre.  It *might* still be available but IIRC it was to go with the Heller kit.

There were two TF-86's built, there's a photo of both of them in the Sabre in Action book.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 21, 2019, 06:45:54 AM

There's two TF-86 conversion on the market Chris, the Falcon one is on a triple conversion sheet, and the AirModel one is also on a multi F-86 conversion sheet.

But would you want the heartache involved in doing the Airmodel one!  :banghead:

I've got the Falcon on in The Loft somewhere, I'll have a look and see which kit it's designed for.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 21, 2019, 07:36:44 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 21, 2019, 06:45:54 AM

But would you want the heartache involved in doing the Airmodel one!  :banghead:

I've got the Falcon on in The Loft somewhere, I'll have a look and see which kit it's designed for.

I'll save you the trouble, it says to use the Heller F-86F. 

The AirModel conversion has the wrong canopy shape (will be useful for a whiff two-seater though), the fuselage bit seems to compare quite well with the Falcon conversion, also whoever drew the side profile on the instruction sheet for the AirModel one has got it all wrong

chrisonord

Thanks for the info guy's, I  doubt  the conversion sets would  fit the Hobbyboss kit as ot is a very basic easy build kit. The wings are attached  to the lower fuselage, so I think  they will  get  built oob. Back to the drawing  board trying  to find  a reasonably priced  sabre to cut up :banghead:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

philp

I know I still have the bits for the Falcon conversion, think I still have the canopy as it never got used but where it is hiding is a good question.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 21, 2019, 12:09:58 PM
The Falcon Triple Conversion set with the TF-86 is still available:
http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_72&products_id=1147

$24.00 NZ; $16.56 US.

Speaking with Tore Martin (Falcon owner) a couple of months ago, confirms that too.

PR19_Kit

And the RAF Neptune conversion is wonderful too, but then almost all of Falcon's stuff is.   :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I've used the Airmodel TF-86 conversion as part of my Sabre Dingo model.  It wasn't as bad as Kit makes out.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

I tried to do one some years ago, and the fuselage sides were not only different heights, by much more than the styrene thickness, but they were also different lengths, by maybe 3-4 mm!

They must have updated the mould since then Brian as your two holer looks pretty darn good.

Regards
Kit