Rockwell/Panavia F-24 Tornado "Wild Weasel" COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 01, 2019, 08:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

AeroplaneDriver

As has been observed, the Tornado really needs a bigger fin!   ;D

Finished ECM Fairing.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Doug K

Quote from: kerick on January 13, 2019, 01:14:55 PM
Just what a Tornado needs, a bigger fin!
Looking great, can't wait to see more.

:thumbsup: ;D

nighthunter

Now I kind of want to get a Tonka and turn it into a F-24 of the 316th fighter interceptor Squadron.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

NARSES2

Quote from: nighthunter on January 14, 2019, 04:38:18 PM
Now I kind of want to get a Tonka and turn it into a F-24 of the 316th fighter interceptor Squadron.

Well there is the Tornado Theme Build going on  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 15, 2019, 05:52:04 AM
Quote from: nighthunter on January 14, 2019, 04:38:18 PM

Well there is the Tornado Theme Build going on  :thumbsup:
Yes, well, I'm broke, we don't have the money to spare, and Mrs. NightHunter would kill me if I bought another model right now. I also might have to reduce my stash till her paychecks start coming in on the regular.

Also, when did the group build start?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Rheged

I think the 1/144 Revell Tornado can be had for about £4, but at that scale you will need better eyesight and hand/eye coordination than I have.

I have myself been through the forced stash reduction process but courage, mon brave, it  gets better eventually.  Domestic harmony is of huge importance, not upsetting the other half is part of the PRIME DIRECTIVE. I  too have had times when Madame  Rheged would have wished either instant  taxidermy or cremation upon me if I'd spend ANY of the Imperial Treasury on anything but food and the mortgage. For us, things are vastly improved now, and I hope that they soon  will be for the Nighthunters too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

The theme build started just recently so you haven't missed anything. It's not a group build so things are a lot more flexible.

I hope your finances improve soon. Been there, done that, wasn't fun.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on January 15, 2019, 01:14:42 PM
The theme build started just recently so you haven't missed anything. It's not a group build so things are a lot more flexible.

Yup Theme Builds are far more relaxed when it comes to their organisation and don't tend to have many rules at all, if indeed they have any. Group Builds on the other hand are far more formal and far more organised.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

A little slow progress this week. 

Primer coat is on, revealing some areas that need a little attention, but honestly this kit has so many poorly fitting areas, but such nice surface detail that its hard to clean it up completely without destroying the detail.  I think I am going to accept this one almost "as it" and enjoy it from 5 feet away. 

Some new ECM bits n bobs have been added under the nose, and new IFF antennas on top of the nose.  There will be an AAR port on the spine, so I'm filling the panel lines for the probe.  Not putting too much time into the refueling port, just making it happen through the magic of decals. 

I thought about filling the Skyflash/AMRAAM bays in the forward fuselage, but decided not too, reasoning that if the F-24 used the F.3 airframe why pay more to redesign an area that results in a lost capability. 

Weaver

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

A suggestion, if I may?

Since you're using the F.3 radome, you can't get an attack radar AND a terrain-following radar in there - that's the reason for the GR.1's 'kinked' radome outline. The attack radar isn't really neccessary for the SEAD mission but the TFR is highly desirable, as Rockwell's proposal mentions. Why not, therefore, say that since the Wild Weasel mission doesn't require the attack radar anyway, the TFR is repositioned to the tip of the nose, and the back half of the F.3 radome is now 'tin' and full of yet more devious ECM stuff? All this would require is to scribe and/or paint a smaller radome on the tip of the nose (about 1/3rd of it's length should do) and then add some more ECM bumps to the back half of the dome. Left and right RWR 'wedges' would be a good start, plus maybe a extra blade aerial and dielectric panel or two. The top of it might also be a good place for an IFR receptable, F-105/A-10 style.

Another observation: the artwork in the Rockwell proposal has at least one Maverick on the fuselage pylons, which makes sense since F-4Gs used to carry attack weapons in order to destroy the SAM launchers after they'd taken out the radar with ARMs, and Maverick was a common fit. Of course your proposed 4 x HARM fit is perfectly valid, as the other artwork Kitnut617 posted shows.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

AeroplaneDriver

Changing the radome had not crossed my mind but now that you mention it I think it would really change the look of it and I like the idea.  Ditto the nose refueling.  I'm comfortably sitting in First Class sipping an adult beverage enroute to Vermont at a respectable 645mph currentky but may give these ideas a try next week. Thanks!

Weaver

You're welcome, although I'm now wondering whether an adult beverage is made for adults or from adults... :o

Enquiring minds need to know, but experienced ones don't.... ;) :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?