DONE @p.5 +++ 1:72 Cornell/Jackson "American Spirit" Reno Racer

Started by Dizzyfugu, January 04, 2019, 01:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Glad you all like it. The canopy turned out to be a fight because it is actually a little too wide, and matching it to the opening in the fuselage was tricky, too. But with some tricks and patience it looks good now, esp. in the profile. Looks very natural.  :lol:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Things started moving again; the kit received a thin white primer coat, and I am suprised that only a few notches have to be filled or evened out. Looks as if a full white overall coat can follow soon.

1:72 Cornell/Jackson Special "American Spirit" Reno Racer - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

This afternoon, after filling final blems, I gave the "American Spirit" an overall white coat of paint...

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and then started with the "decoration"; I eventually decided to follow my initial inspiration and apply something "holistic", beyond cheat lines and frayed ornaments. Instead: blunt (and asymmetrical) patriotism:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

nighthunter

Hey, that's along the same lines as what I was going to suggest, but yours looks better!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Again, slow progress. Did detail work around the cockpit (painting interior and canopy, seat added), created silver leading edges on the wings with decal strips and assembled the landing gear. The propeller was also touched up with paint and decals. I am still searching for some proper racing numbers for the aircraft, since it was supposed to start in Reno, and these will define the position of the stars on the blue background.

However, now that the American Spirit stand son its own feet and with the propeller in place, the thing looks quite attractive!

Dizzyfugu

More cosmetic progress - now we have a star-spangled aircraft, and I also added details like fake panel lines,  made from thin decal strips or drawn with a soft pencil. Almost done, just a final coat of varnish to come.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 22, 2019, 12:43:17 AM

I am still searching for some proper racing numbers for the aircraft,

1/32 scale slot racing car number decals? They usually come with blank white circles which you can add any shape and style of numbers to.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

I have found, in the meantime, a convenient solution - Twelves taken from a generic decal sheet for German fire engines, actually a part of the official emergency telephone number (112). And this is the latest status - first the model on its own feet:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And then a handful of fairy dust spilled over the cowling and the spinner...

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The final varnish coat is just drying, and there are some finishing touches (position lights) left. But I think that I will finish it with beauty pics this weekend, right in time for the GB deadline.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

loupgarou

Wow indeed. How did you do those bloody thin lines all around the cowling?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise