IS-1 Sęp **DONE!**

Started by TheChronicOne, January 05, 2019, 06:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

OK. Big time wing fitment problem on starboard side. I sorted it. Glued all the wings on, did a little filler in the seams and sanded it. Have no primer but this red paint says it comes with it. We'll see how it goes! So anyway... I painted it. I'll likely have to do some more PSR but we're moving along nicely now!

Still no clue what type of paint scheme to put on it but something will come up I'm sure.

-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Lancaster designer Roy Chadwick was killed in a crash in 1947 caused by reversed aileron cables on the Avro Tudor 2 prototype.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on January 21, 2019, 04:53:52 AM
Lancaster designer Roy Chadwick was killed in a crash in 1947 caused by reversed aileron cables on the Avro Tudor 2 prototype.

"Aileron reversal", like other examples of control reversal, is an aerodynamic
phenomenon and is not the same as physically cross-connected control
surfaces.

PR19_Kit

I think the Tudor accident really was wrongly connected control cables though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Such a shame to lose a man, and that talent due to a "silly" mistake.   :-\
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 21, 2019, 12:27:38 PM

"Aileron reversal", like other examples of control reversal, is an aerodynamic
phenomenon and is not the same as physically cross-connected control
surfaces.

Aileron reversal usually happens near the aircraft's maximum structural design speed where aerodynamic forces acting on the ailerons bend the wing instead of rolling the aircraft, the result being a roll in the opposite direction. The Tudor 2 crash happened immediately after take-off, at nowhere near maximum speed, and was absolutely and definitely traced to the ailerons being connected to the controls the wrong way around. The aircraft had been worked on overnight and a system of chains connecting control column to the ailerons had been disconnected and reconnected in the process. During pre-flight, the pilot, who couldn't see the wing tips from the cockpit, had relied on shouting 'ailerons' to a crew member in the rear cockpit who could see the wingtips through the windows. Unfortunately, what he couldn't see from there was which way the pilot was moving the control column. The aircraft didn't burn and the incorrectly connected chains were discovered during the subsequent investigation.

Also killed was Avro chief test pilot Bill Thorn as well as several others, and the crash came within a hair's breadth of claiming Avro Managing Director Sir Roy Dobson, who was actually seated on the plane when he was called away for an urgent phone call at the last minute!

Source: AVRO - The History of an Aircraft Company by Harry Holmes
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I knew i'd read somewhere recently about control reversal - It was in The Quest for Speed by Mike Roussel

The Short Crusader was a Schneider Trophy contender powered by a Bristol Mercury.  It was dismantled and shipped to Venice for the 1927 competition to be used as a practice aircraft.  After reassembly Flying Officer H.M.Schofield took off in the aircraft: since the aircraft with full fuel load was heavy on takeoff, he held the aircraft close to the water to build up speed. It is probable that the aircraft encountered a thermal caused by the hot weather, for suddenly the right wing lifted. Schofield attempted to correct this, but the control wires to the ailerons had been crossed during reassembly, so that the aileron movement was reversed. The aircraft continued the roll, and hit the water at a speed of 150 mph (240 km/h). The fuselage broke in half at the cockpit and Schofield was thrown clear, sustaining serious bruises but no broken bones. The aircraft sank into the lagoon and was recovered a week later, when examination of the wreckage clearly established the cause of the crash.
(Italic text quoted from Wikipedia)

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

This thing is back on track and all the putty work is finished. I'm going to put another coat of primer on it before I actually paint it, however.. but we're moving forward again!

I still don't know how I'm going to paint this, really... all I know is I want red.  I think I might try something goofy like draping it with netting and spraying a bit of black or something.... we'll see!

-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

not finished but already good... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Thanks, homie!  We'll be sailing in no time.

I've got the red paint on and it worked very well this time....  next is to mask some things and think about how to add some interest to the paint job.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Experimenting a bit with the paint job. NO CLUE how this will turn out but I'm sure it'll either look really neat, or look really bad!  ;D ;D

It's red now, I'm going to hit it with black next.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!

It was getting down to the wire, but thankfully everything just sort of fell together there at the end. It wound up being one of the easiest builds I've ever done....   quite nice because the last little glider was a pain in me arse. This one had a misaligned wing and needed a bit of filler but otherwise it was golden. I didn't smooth things as much as I should, and didn't spray black under my silver but even skipping that stuff the paint job turned out pretty nice for not having spent much time on it.

Only I thing I forgot was a group picture of all three....    today perhaps. Sun's back out so I might get lucky!
-Sprues McDuck-