Project Bunsen- Jet P-39 *refresh*

Started by sandiego89, January 10, 2019, 12:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Getting the mojo back!

In 1943 a secret delegation brought several jet engines from the U.K. to the United States to show US manufactures the latest turbojets.  Bell and G.E. were selected to investigate a new fighter to demonstrate this jet technology. 

As a secret side project codenamed BUNSEN, several manufacturers were asked to see what existing fighters could be adapted for jet power.  The specification called for the minimal amount of modifications possible with the hope that overseas depots could make the switch from piston to jet power.

Bell, Lockheed and others responded with prototypes.  The jet P-38 was covered here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,38594.msg632566.html#msg632566

Bell had an inside track and took a close look at the P-39, which was deemed light enough for a single engine....

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Hobbes

Was there a companion project named BEAKER?

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

sandiego89

Out with the V-12

The Welland engine from the Dragon Meteor Kit is really superb.

Dave "Sandiego89"

nighthunter

It would be cool if someone get a Bell P-63 Kingcobra with the Meteor's engines, as it was currently under development during 1943. :)
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Jesse220

Tophe

Great project and good start! Congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sandiego89

Complete.  The Bell P-39 outfitted with a Welland engine for testing under project Bunsen, summer 1944.

1/72 Heller. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Nice model. :thumbsup:
As the Welland engine is a turbojet, not rocket engine, I suppose there is an air intake under the belly, yes?

Quote from: nighthunter on January 11, 2019, 06:23:20 AM
It would be cool if someone get a Bell P-63 Kingcobra with the Meteor's engines, as it was currently under development during 1943. :)
I think the P-39 jet and P-63 jet are described (in the sad world) here:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2380.msg19958.html#msg19958
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Tophe on January 17, 2019, 07:47:27 PM
Nice model. :thumbsup:
As the Welland engine is a turbojet, not rocket engine, I suppose there is an air intake under the belly, yes?

Something I wondered about, too?

Old Wombat

I'm figuring the little red-lipped lumps (sounds like some kind of fish :unsure:) on the fuselage just aft of the cockpit are the (somewhat undersized) jet intakes.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

just another Airacobra...

...oh, hang on...

Very good.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..