Main Menu

Tornado Themed Build?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 10, 2019, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on January 23, 2019, 06:29:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 06:14:45 AM
A very interesting pic that, taken from the other side to the one I saw.

What are the two stores on the starboard outer pylon though? The lower one looks like a 'winder with its forward fins missing.

Not sure which you mean, but the stores are:

Fuselage stations: ALARM
Sidewinder pylons: ASRAAMs
Inner wing pylons: 230 gal GR.1 drop tanks (NOT the usual 'Hindenburger' tanks seen on the F.3)
Starboard outer: PHIMAT chaff/flare pod
Port outer: BOZ chaff flare pod

I don't know why it carried two different chaff/flare pods.

That's because the BOZ pod is actually carrying a Towed Radar Decoy

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on January 23, 2019, 10:43:01 AM
Quote from: Weaver on January 23, 2019, 06:29:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2019, 06:14:45 AM
A very interesting pic that, taken from the other side to the one I saw.

What are the two stores on the starboard outer pylon though? The lower one looks like a 'winder with its forward fins missing.

Not sure which you mean, but the stores are:

Fuselage stations: ALARM
Sidewinder pylons: ASRAAMs
Inner wing pylons: 230 gal GR.1 drop tanks (NOT the usual 'Hindenburger' tanks seen on the F.3)
Starboard outer: PHIMAT chaff/flare pod
Port outer: BOZ chaff flare pod

I don't know why it carried two different chaff/flare pods.

That's because the BOZ pod is actually carrying a Towed Radar Decoy

Gondor

Ahhhhh that makes sense - cheers. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

AS.12

Those ALARM mountings are remarkably cumbersome; big generic pylon and then specific ALARM adapter.  Must be draggy.

Starboard outer is even worse!  I wonder how many Mach points that knocks off.

Can't they get someone to design nice integrated pylons?  I remember a company doing that for Sidewinder and making a mint.

Gondor

Quote from: AS.12 on January 24, 2019, 01:35:39 AM
Those ALARM mountings are remarkably cumbersome; big generic pylon and then specific ALARM adapter.  Must be draggy.

Starboard outer is even worse!  I wonder how many Mach points that knocks off.

Can't they get someone to design nice integrated pylons?  I remember a company doing that for Sidewinder and making a mint.

From what I remember those mounts were only used on the under fuselage pylons, when mounted either where the ASRAM or fuel tanks are they just used a shoe

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

I think there's some issue with firing missiles straight forward off the belly pylons. The ALARM adaptors are angled downwards slightly, and the Brimstone ones even more so. The belly pylons are very shallow and were originally intended mainly for bombs, so perhaps missiles fired straight from them are at risk of hitting the forward fuselage?

Brimstones on a GR.4 - look at the angle, especially the rear ones!

Maximum ALARM fit on a GR.1:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Do they actually fire them direct off the pylons?

My employers made a LOT of money developing a plastic programmer used on drop test machines to simulate the firing pulse of the cartridges that the pylons have to project the missiles clear of the pylon after the drop.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

I can't find any info to confirm it, but I THINK the ALARM fires off a rail, not ejected before ignition.  The pylon doesn't seem to have the warning triangle usually found on UK aircraft if the pylon has the pyrotechnics to eject the store.  Plus it was carried on the shoulder pylons in place of Sidewinders, indicating a rail launch. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Lord_Voyager

So I have the revel Fin... 1/72 scale and it's lovely... but I need suggestions for a color scheme.

Green and grey seem overdone... Grey is just, blah.

Anyone?

Rheged

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on January 24, 2019, 07:48:31 AM
So I have the revel Fin... 1/72 scale and it's lovely... but I need suggestions for a color scheme.

Anyone?

Assume that the  USAF did adopt the Tornado as the F24 .  This allows you USAAF pre 1939 blue and yellow as their Tornado retirement special.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Rheged on January 24, 2019, 07:59:11 AM

Anyone?

Assume that the  USAF did adopt the Tornado as the F24 .  This allows you USAAF pre 1939 blue and yellow as their Tornado retirement special.

That would be beautiful. 

I was a little surprised no RAF types were painted in WW1 schemes for the centennial last year.  Maybe an opportunity to correct that oversight?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 24, 2019, 08:14:36 AM

I was a little surprised no RAF types were painted in WW1 schemes for the centennial last year.  Maybe an opportunity to correct that oversight?

We didn't have enough aeroplanes I expect. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 24, 2019, 10:04:02 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 24, 2019, 08:14:36 AM

We didn't have enough aeroplanes I expect. :(

Sad state of affairs.  😞

AS.12

Luftwaffe Afrika mottle
RAF grey-green but with Arctic white distemper
RAF sand-and-chocolate
Danish bronze-green
QinetiQ gloss black

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on January 21, 2019, 12:42:09 AM
Quote from: AS.12 on January 20, 2019, 07:40:48 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 20, 2019, 02:27:50 AM

And its RARE!!!!!!!!!

I'd snap it up if I were you...

:rolleyes:

;D

It's like those sellers who write GET YOURSELF A BARGAIN! and then set a reserve price...

I will never understand those who set a reserve on Evil-Bay.  Why not just set the amount you want to get as a minimum as the starting amount?

My MRCA is on the way.  I have a couple of possible wing doners in mind but no ideas on a colour scheme or user.

Because a lot of buyers rank-order their searches by price or price+postage with lowest first. That means that if you set a start price of £0.99 with a reserve of £10 instead of a start price of £9.99, you go straight to the top of their list.

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: AS.12 on January 24, 2019, 11:10:16 PM
RAF grey-green but with Arctic white distemper
RAF sand-and-chocolate
QinetiQ gloss black

First one's real world, both variations of white over green and white over grey:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006835-raf-winter-camouflage/
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983118-finishedthe-other-tims-revell-172-tornado-gr1-arctic-cam-13-sqn-raf/

Second one would be good as an alternative to desert pink.

Third one, I'd wondered about putting an F.3 in an earlier A&AEE raspberry ripple scheme.  A GR.1 wore Raspberry ripple and F.3 was used by A&AEE but in standard camouflage so might be a bit of a head scratcher.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.