Nils's 1/144 World War 2 WHIF's

Started by Spey_Phantom, January 15, 2019, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

Quote from: Nils on November 27, 2020, 06:14:49 AM
Update:

more are on the way, but for now, im building 6 realworld 1/144 warbirds.
im currently looking for decals for the WHIF builds

[img]
Carrier Air Group?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: nighthunter on November 30, 2020, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: Nils on November 27, 2020, 06:14:49 AM
Update:

more are on the way, but for now, im building 6 realworld 1/144 warbirds.
im currently looking for decals for the WHIF builds

[img]
Carrier Air Group?

some OOB US Navy builds and a FAA Corsair Mk.II and Martlet Mk.IV  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Real World Alert!!!

Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat, as flown by the US Navy in 1943.
the kit is the old Revell Microwings 1/144 Wildcat, built OOB.
this is the first of 3 recently finished US Navy aircraft in 1/144 scale (to be posted later)

i have another Wildcat underway, which will be finished as a Royal Navy FAA Martlet Mk.IV.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

Nice micro-modelling, Nils! Looks great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Thanks!

Greg

Spey_Phantom

BUMP,

just as you thought this topic was dead, im reviving it once again  :thumbsup:

at this moment, im doing prepwork on the next series of 1/144 warbirds.
next in line are another series of P-51D Mustangs, 3 to be precise, as these will be part of a WHIF Belgian airfield diorama.

but the biggest problem i have, is the color scheme?
at this point, i am concidering 2 schemes, both with tricolor rudders in the belgian national colors.

Scheme 1: the 1936/37 standard camo with olive drab and matt aluminium underside (as used on the Fairey Fox, Gloster Gladiator,...), currently my favorite.
Sheme 2: the RAF 1939/40 style dark green & dark earth camo with matt aluminium underside (as used on the Hawker Hurricane, Fairey battle, Brewster Buffalo,...)

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Wardukw

Scheme 2 would look more impressive in 1/144 scale and it's likely that's the scheme they would have used being a war time active unit.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Personally I prefer the pre-War scheme as shown in Scheme 1. Possibly raising the demarcation line a little so it follows the exhaust pipes/tail plane line ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

flappydaffy

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 05, 2023, 12:09:25 AMPersonally I prefer the pre-War scheme as shown in Scheme 1. Possibly raising the demarcation line a little so it follows the exhaust pipes/tail plane line ?

same

go for pre-war

Tophe

Update (on my side): congratulations again! :thumbsup:  :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Spey_Phantom

Thought i  would give you guys an update on this project  :mellow:

the 3 Belgian P-51D's are currently in dust-free storage until decals for the serials are designed.
another project that has recently started is a radial engined Messerschmitt Bf110, but have no idea on what color scheme it wil have.

once room has been cleared, im gonna start on the first aircraft on the Bordurian-Syldavian war of 1944.
i havent figured out what the Royal Syldavian Air Force and Army will have, so i started with the easiest part, the Bordurian Army and Air Force, a the country was based on Nazi-Germany.

this is what i have at this moment:

Bordurian Air Force:

-Messerschmitt Bf109F
-Messerschmitt Bf110G
-Junkers Ju-87 Stuka
-Junkers Ju52
-Henschell Hs-126

later for 1945 i would replace the Bf109 & Bf110 with the Me262.

Bordurian Army:

-King Tiger & Panther tanks, later post-1946 would replace these with Soviet made T-34's.

Civilian:

-Focke-Wulf Fw200 Condor (Air Borduria)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

took a while, but if finally finished the next model in the series, a Belgian P-51D Mustang. i have 2 more Belgian Mustangs awaiting decals, together with this one they will be placed on a small diorama.

P-51D Mustang, Belgisch Militair Vliegwezen / Aeronautique Militaire Belge.
6/III/2Ae, Nivilles, 1945.

In early 1944, the AeMB recieved 60 P-51D Mustangs from America, in exchange for "unspecified mineral resources" from mines in the Belgian Congo.
Belgium was rebuilding at Air Arm in the Colony, before flying them over to Britain to take part in the liberation of Europe that was due to follow.
3 squadrons of the 2nd regiment were equiped with the Mustang, serialed N-1 to N-60. here they replaced the Curtiss P-40E's that were temporarily stationed at Leopoldville.

together with 2 squadrons of P-38J Lightnings, they took part in the  D-day landings and booked various succeses in air combat.
3/II/2Ae was the first unit of the AeMB to be stationed in Belgium, operating from Ursel-Aalter Airfield in Februari 1945. when the war ended, the remaining Mustangs returned home to theyre pre-war base at Nivilles.

Lt. Maj. Claude Matton of 6/III/2Ae, was the highest scoring ace of the AeMB, flying his P-51D (N-58), he shot down 27 enemy aircraft, but he was also shot down once but luckily over friendly territory.

Kit: Mini Hobby Models P-51D Mustang.
Decals: FFROM roundels, white numbers from sparesbox and underwing serials are DIY.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Wardukw

Midget Mustang  ;D  ;D
Very nicely done..very  nicely done indeed 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Got a nice retro look about it in that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.