1/35 Luchs/MLRS kit bash

Started by Ramba, January 16, 2019, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramba

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 20, 2019, 06:45:51 AM
Do you need all of the engine deck at the back? If not you could trim it back a bit.

I play that game sometimes, you can end up with some very complicated cuts to keep the bits you really want to keep but the final result can look very good.

Or you could fit it as per the first variant you showed & have all the mechanicals between the cab & the fighting compartment.

Thanks for the suggestions. I messed around with the different cab locations and the last way I have it looks the best to me. If I remove the MLRS engine deck and just leave the cab then the cab looks too plain and square. The engine deck gives it a nicer look.

Good news, the seller is replacing the ZTL-11 upper and lower hull. Bad news is that I have to put the ZTL turret back onto the ZTL-11 kit so the what if MLRS/Luchs needs a new turret. I really like the look of the PLA ZTL-11 so keeping it as is. 

I do have a Revell SPz Puma I am thinking of using the turret from that. The Puma wasn't high on my list of kits to do and the turret is more futuristic looking than the ZTL turret so maybe the Puma turret will be of some use now. I also have the Trumpeter Type 87 Recon Vehicle. This also was not high on my to do list so I could also use the turret from that but it is similar to the ZTL turret but with a 25mm gun instead of the 105mm. The Puma I think is a 30mm gun. Unfortunately I don't have the Puma or Type 87 on me at the moment. They are in NJ at my sister's house so I have to go pick them up. That is a 4 hour drive though so not sure when I am heading back that way. I moved from NJ to PA a few years ago but left some boxes at my sister's house and never bothered to pick them back up and now regretting it hahahaha! I also have a bunch of Model Master enamels sitting there too which I need to get as well. Anyway, I think the Puma turret will look good on the MLRS/Luchs what if.

Ramba

So I went and picked up the Revell Puma from my sister's house and started the turret over the weekend. After fiddling with the location, I think I will settle for where it is shown in the photos below. Not too far forward where the barrel sticks out past the roof and I might still be able to add a secondary M240 by the passenger side hatch on the cab. The rear will be filled in with plastic card.

Captain Canada

Very cool. Fun kits to whif.

Mine has been on the go for years lol

From here :

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,27082.15.html
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ramba

Nice project. Your cab reminds me of the M4 high speed tractor.

Captain Canada

Cheers. they both look like they are smiling lol
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

silverwindblade

Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Ramba

I think I like the AFV M1128 MGS 105mm turret better than the Revell SPz Puma 30mm turret.

Here is the SPz Puma turret.

Here is the M1128 MGS turret.

kerick

You're right, I like the MGS better.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Either/or, they both look good. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Yup, both good, but I'm leaning towards the 105mm goodness...  :thumbsup:

Ramba

Thanks all! I am going with the MGS turret. The SPz Puma turret is cool too but I think the MGS looks a little better.

Captain Canada

Oooh that is starting to really look good now !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ramba

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 24, 2019, 06:55:18 PM
Oooh that is starting to really look good now !

Thanks!

I changed it once again. I have the end of the barrel extending over the cab now. Still a long way to go. I have to notch the bottom rear sections of the cab so the front wheels don't scrape on it. I also have to fill in the area between the cab and rear deck. I will use plastic card and hope to blend it in.

Here is where I last left off.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

This is what kitbashing is all about! Nice work!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise