Too early to be April Fools...

Started by scooter, February 02, 2019, 03:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Would you buy a house with a graveyard in the front garden?

And the actual listing page here

Not quite 2/3 of an acre, with a detached 2 car garage?  I know SWMBO and I'd not have any problems with it.  Besides importing our cars and the furbabies.  Although, I'd have a blast pranking her with the British outlets (we had them in our CHUs in Iraq).
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Wow, that's a new one!
I showed it to my wife, she said no. For me it depends on how cheap it goes for. I wonder if someone from the Church of England cuts the grass in the front.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Most of  the large cemeteries in Hull still have their old gatehouse.  Originally, it would have been the caretakers residence, but I believe they're all in privately owned now.  I think it's the same in a few cities in the UK .
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

I think they're advertising it in the wrong places: how about Kerrang?

"Would suite houseproud death-metal fan with sense of humour or a Goth into serious one-upmanship..."
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on February 02, 2019, 01:20:32 PM
I think they're advertising it in the wrong places: how about Kerrang?

"Would suite houseproud death-metal fan with sense of humour or a Goth into serious one-upmanship..."

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

zenrat

When I was a student I had a girlfriend who's house backed onto the cemetery.  It was nice and quiet.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Be some interestin' conversations, leaning on the Headstones during a Barbie...   :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 03, 2019, 03:50:45 AM
Be some interestin' conversations, leaning on the Headstones during a Barbie...   :wacko:

I read that as "doing a Barbie" on the first pass and, combined with the previous post, thouht you were being much ruder than you were..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on February 03, 2019, 04:53:22 AM

I read that as "doing a Barbie" on the first pass and, combined with the previous post, thouht you were being much ruder than you were..... :wacko:

Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on February 02, 2019, 07:58:58 AM
Most of  the large cemeteries in Hull still have their old gatehouse.  Originally, it would have been the caretakers residence, but I believe they're all in privately owned now.  I think it's the same in a few cities in the UK .

Indeed they do.

During Victorian times there was a huge boom in the building of private cemeteries and they even built a couple of dedicated railway stations to serve them. May even have been a dedicated line ? For some reason most of them were on the London/Kent border
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 03, 2019, 06:28:34 AM

Indeed they do.

During Victorian times there was a huge boom in the building of private cemeteries and they even built a couple of dedicated railway stations to serve them. May even have been a dedicated line ? For some reason most of them were on the London/Kent border

There was at least one dedicated cemetery line that ran from Paddington near where Heathrow is now. There's been a TV programme about it on one of the more obscure channels recently.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2019, 02:59:42 AM
When I was a student I had a girlfriend who's house backed onto the cemetery.  It was nice and quiet.

Really? I thought people would be dying to get in.

Okay, I'll get me coat...
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 03, 2019, 06:28:34 AM
Quote from: Mossie on February 02, 2019, 07:58:58 AM

Indeed they do.

The Necropolis Railway. Because all the London cemeteries were filling up rapidly in the 1850s and there was a newly appreciated risk of cholera and other nasty diseases, several new cemeteries had to be opened outside of London. The Necropolis Railway had an office and private station/platform just outside Waterloo Station. From there you could load your beloved into a private train and travel down to Brookwood where the train would divert into a private station within the cemetery bounds. If you were Anglican you went to the South Station while if you were a Non-Conformist you went to the North Station. I believe that one of these buildings was taken down and rebuilt in Australia as a chapel.

http://www.victorianweb.org/art/parks/brookwood/history.html

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on February 03, 2019, 04:53:22 AM

I did suggest a little alfresco slap and tickle amongst the graves but she was never up for it.
I used to hop over the wall and short cut home through the cemetery.  It was an interesting walk at night.   :o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 04, 2019, 02:00:39 AM

I used to hop over the wall and short cut home through the cemetery.  It was an interesting walk at night.   :o

I used to take a shortcut through an old Church graveyard (oldest grave was mid 1700's) on the way home from the pub back in the late 60's/early 70's and it's amazing how often I started off strolling and ended up at quite a brisk jog  ;D Swear I saw things move on many an occasion. :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.