Curtiss C-46 Jet Commando pictures: page 2

Started by 63cpe, February 02, 2019, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Now doesn't this look classic and kind off "right". All flying surfaces are just glued on. And soon PSR is starting. Will finish this in classic Braniff colors and markings.

IMG_20190202_202109529 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190202_202129824 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Think I'll keep it as it originally was: a taildragger.

David aka 63cpe

AS.12

That's a real brain-melter!  Looks like a fat Comet before the brain says 'hang on a mo...'

loupgarou

Wicked!
Scale and components, please? Did you use the Williams kit? I hope not the ancient vacuform from Sutcliffe/Contrails!
And the Comet?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

63cpe

Thanks! the fuselage is the Williams bros...assembled ages ago but had some melt spots (aggressive glue?).  Comet wings are from an 1/100-ish 4c kit by VEB plasticart. This kit was part of an estate I bought some years ago. It was partly assembled and not fit for resale, so decided to keep it.

David aka 63cpe

AeroplaneDriver

That looks like it's going to be a a winner!  As you say, it looks so....RIGHT!

I'd round off the windows though.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

I like the idea of the classic Braniff colours, would that be the red and blue stripes of various widths along the fuselage?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Looks right at home in those wings. Buffalo Joe !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ed S

Those wings go good on the C-46 fuselage.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Air21

That is gorgeous...  :wub:

I always thought those wings belonged on a DeHavilland Albatross, but those kits are about as common as... Well as a DeHavilland Albatross  :banghead:

zenrat

Looks good Dave.

What's the fit like on the Commando kit?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Thanks gentlemen!

@Zenrat: fit is so-so. The chord on the c-46 is quite big. Bigger than the chord of the Comet's wings. I mated the top of the Comet's wings to the top of the C-46 wing roots. Because of this gap in chord I had to move the wings more forward about 1cm. This was no problem anyway as it's going to be an taildragger anyway...

More to the rear were the trailing edge meets the fuselage meets, the gap changes from 0 to about 6mm over a length of about 5cm.

Another thing is the thick trailing edges of the wings. They are about 5 mm at the flaps and ailerons! I'm thinning them down with Dremel and sanding disk.

The rear planes come from an Academy B-17 D (I think). Fit is also poor..lots of putty needed! I've V-ed them a little for good measure..

David aka 63cpe

zenrat

Thanks Dave.  I was asking because i've always liked the look of the Commando and would like to build one.  I prolly should have been clearer.

But it does look "right" I must admit.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

63cpe

Ah, the fit of the c-46? Yeah, that's in par with Airfix, Revell of the same age. So, filler will be needed. But beware with too agressive toluene stuff as parts are moulded thinner than the Revell, Airfix stuff..

David aka 63cpe

Dizzyfugu

Uh, that's sexy!  :wub:

Great idea - and it looks very good so far.  :thumbsup:

Hobbes