Curtiss C-46 Jet Commando pictures: page 2

Started by 63cpe, February 02, 2019, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

That's great with a side of awesome-sauce!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Pellson

The more I looks at this, the better it is, actually. And it seems the wings went on without too much adapting and PSR too. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Nick

OUT--- STANDING!

That looks so right in those colours. It fits the period so well.

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

zenrat

I would have given it tricycle undercarriage but I don't thnk that would have mede it better.
Awesome Dave.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

l wasn't expecting a tail dragger! Awesome  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Thank you all!

During the build I did check if it could accept a tricycle gear but this looked a bit weird / not curtiss like for the era. As the Comet wings needed to be some centimeters forward off where the wings used to be, the maingear also moved forward. To correct this the maingear was moved to the rear, but this meant the gear was to be stowed in the thinnest part of the wings. So, not the most logical place. That's why it seemed to make more sense to make it a tail dragger,

This also seems to be a plausible solution to offer rebuilt commando frames in the days with (only) new wings and stabilo's to keep costs down as much as possible but still offer jetpropulsion for a rugged and proven airframe.

@Pellson: the wings went on pretty easily although the resulting gaps were big. At a certain point I had sanded the styrene that much, it was very thin and holes opened up. These needed to filled again and again with 2k body filler. No walk in the park!

Thanks all, I appreciate it!

David aka 63cpe

McColm

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Pellson

Quote from: 63cpe on July 06, 2021, 12:56:50 PM
@Pellson: the wings went on pretty easily although the resulting gaps were big. At a certain point I had sanded the styrene that much, it was very thin and holes opened up. These needed to filled again and again with 2k body filler. No walk in the park!

The more impressive. Even the in-progress-pics makes it look very, very smooth.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

nighthunter

Gorgeous idea, and well executed
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

TheChronicOne

FANTASTIC!!! That hits the spot......  this is a tremendous idea and well executed. Wish I had thought of it.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Weaver

It's beautiful - really looks the part. :wub: :thumbsup:

The wings seem right too: even though you moved them forwards, the fact that the Comet's leading edge is swept while its trailing edge is straight means that they look to be in about the right place relative to the fuselage.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones