F-23A photo recon version

Started by kerick, February 08, 2019, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

I remember seeing on facebook, not long ago, someone was making the conversion on the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit but he hasn't posted any updates in a while. His last post was when he was going to try the engine nacelle mod... That kit could've been a beauty but hobbyboss had to make the same mistake every other manufacturer made on theit Yf-23 kits, the intakes are completely wrong. :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

What is it with kit makers copying the same mistake the first ones made? The prototypes still exist and are not hard to find. There's pretty good pics on Prime Portal website for Pete's sake! Just laziness I suppose. (rant over)

Looks like a day off work because of weather tomorrow so maybe I'll get something done.

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 19, 2019, 03:49:27 AM

I built one of those and i can tell you that the landing gear is very fragile, the right main gear leg on mine started to bend with the model's own weight and ended up breaking when i set it down after a dusting session.

Thanks for the warning about the landing gear. I looked it over and the strut appears sturdy but the part that actually attaches to the wheel looks suspect. Perhaps a strategically placed piece of stiff wire will help.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

CammNut

It is radar-absorbing treatment around gaps and edges. The F-35 uses a different technique to the B-2 and F-22, one that is intended to be more durable and easier to maintain, not requiring gaps to be reputtied or retaped after doors have been opened and panels removed. But the result is the crazy pattern of strips of a different grey. Makes it look unfinished. Hard to model too, without using appropriate decals

scooter

Quote from: kerick on February 19, 2019, 04:47:24 PM
What is it with kit makers copying the same mistake the first ones made? The prototypes still exist and are not hard to find. There's pretty good pics on Prime Portal website for Pete's sake! Just laziness I suppose. (rant over)

Airfix (or someone else) ought to talk to the Air Force about LIDARing it.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

I managed to get in some good modeling time today. I've been working on the engine exhausts first. I'm sticking with the prototype exhausts but improving the kit parts. Its goofy how some parts on this kit look really nice with great detail such as the seat and wheels while the exhaust fits terribly. Here's the pics.

These are the areas I had to close up to avoid gaping holes looking into the fuselage.

I cut the fuselage just ahead of the wing. No turning back now!

This would be a one inch extension.

Here is a one and half inch extension. Go big or go home they say so its the one and half inch version.

The weapons bay makes a handy place to frame up the extension. A heavy piece of plastic that won't bend cut the same width as the bay allows me to line up the front and aft sections. The weapons bay will be closed in the final product anyway.

Boxing it in makes it more rigid and gives something for a new skin to attach to. I'll glue the sections together later. Its easier to work on different areas this way. More pics to follow.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Here's the latest pic of the exhaust.

There is two pieces to the upper part of the exhaust outlet. In the kit they are molded as part of the fuselage. The bottom piece should be separate and is movable on the real thing. So I cut away the molded on part and carved replacements. Looks much better to me. It's amazing how "loose" these parts of the exhaust are on the real aircraft. Maybe to allow for expansion when things get hot. Plus I'm sure they don't want parts with stealth coatings rubbing and scratching each other. The exhaust outlet appears to be covered with heat resistant tiles. I need some graph paper type decals to accurately replicate that.
I've started on the inlets. Shouldn't be too much trouble if I can find some 3/4 inch tubing I can cut in half. I have some PVC pipe the right size but the walls are very thick. Plus gluing could be a problem. Maybe I'll just wrap some sheet plastic around it and soften it with a hair dryer. Probably a half day at work tomorrow so maybe I'll get some more done on it.
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

I like the 1 1/2 inch extension, looks more like the production model. It was supposed to have a sidewinder bay aft of the nose gear bay so it was quite a bit longer. Nice work on the exhausts, i didn't have that issue cause i did mine with 2d TVC nozzles ala Raptor.  :mellow: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

The 2D nozzles would be cool. I don't know why they didn't go that route.
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

IIRC, in the ATF contest documentaty, one of Northrop's guys says it was a decision between stealth and manouverabilty. They chose the stealthier option which was to conceal the IR signature a bit more with their design.

kerick

That's why I choose the YF-23 for this idea. Northrop made a choice that might have cost them the contract but still created an awesome aircraft. My story is the design was resurrected to fill the hole left by retiring the SR-71. Extra speed and stealth would be more important for such a recon bird.
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on February 20, 2019, 07:02:42 PM

.............. while the exhaust fits terribly.

Exactly the same as their B-2 kit.

The exhausts seem to have been designed by a committee that never actually met!  :wub: :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I said the inlets would be easy....I lied.  :banghead:
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Some progress at last! Once I found a piece of plastic to cut the new inlets out of things got easier. I rummaged around in the two drawers of found objects I have until I came across this cap for some old spray bottle. Tough part was judging the shape of the teeth on the edge of the inlet. Once I made one I had to make another mirror image of the first. The plastic was brittle so I had to be careful. Lots of file work.

Then I cut out the old inlets.

And boxed in the new openings.

Hopefully I can glue them in place and start the putty work tonight.
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Great work so far ! Such a neat looking aeroplane can't wait to see more.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.