F-23A photo recon version

Started by kerick, February 08, 2019, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Not sure if the tiles are related to the ones on the shuttle but they could be. I'm thinking of changing the story to it being a CIA asset. I read an article on the SR-71 that made the point that if the SR-71 was CIA funded it would have flown for a much longer time. So this will be the replacement but under CIA control. I'll have to look over my decal options again.

Got the underside planked.

More putty today.

Putty palozza! I'm giving it lots of time to dry before sanding. Working on the control surfaces in the mean time.

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

If I had thought of it earlier I might have moved the nose gear aft a little. No matter now.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jalles

That's looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing an overall shot now that the extension is filled in  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: jalles on March 10, 2019, 09:21:31 AM
That's looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing an overall shot now that the extension is filled in  :thumbsup:

Here ya go!

Part 1 of putty palooza has been sanded down. Part 2 has been applied. I've been using plain old nail files/ermory boards to shape the putty and plastic. Course to cut through all the material and with a flat backing to make sure I don't cut away the putty and leave plastic high spots. I clean it up with 400 grit and will go over the whole thing with 600 before I paint. I have to watch out in areas where I applied a lot of glue as it seems to be affecting the putty. I've noticed a couple of cracks in the putty even after it was dried and sanded down. There could be traces of vapor finding its way out yet.

I had to add some plastic to build out the chines. I should have done that in the first place but oh well.

I've test fitted the stabilizers and the fit is terrible. Very little effort was made to provide a strong anchor for the pieces. I'll have to do a lot of sanding and fitting to get a tight fit as the butt joint will be the only thing holding them. I see these breaking off repeatedly in the future. Plus trying to get the angle right. Might be time to build a lego jig.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on March 13, 2019, 09:32:09 PM
I have to watch out in areas where I applied a lot of glue as it seems to be affecting the putty. I've noticed a couple of cracks in the putty even after it was dried and sanded down. There could be traces of vapor finding its way out yet.

It could be but if there is a lot of putty then sometimes the surface dries before the underlaying layer, that then shrinks as it drys and the surface layer then contracts and cracks in places.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Some of the solvent had separated in the tube so maybe this part of the tube is solvent heavy.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on March 14, 2019, 06:10:55 PM
Some of the solvent had separated in the tube so maybe this part of the tube is solvent heavy.

Ah yes, I had a similar experience with some Revell putty, although it just seemed to melt the plastic around the area I was applying p.s.r. to.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Round two of putty palooza has been sanded down. I'm waiting to apply round three to allow more solvent to escape. Plus RW stuff to attend to anyway. The chines are giving me trouble but I'll get them in shape soon.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I got back from vacation in Bahamas and Disney World. Had to go and give a bunch of my money to the mouse! Actually my wife and best friend conspired to force me to celebrate my 60th birthday. Magnificent time but still recovering from the sunburn.
So I finally sanded down the last layer of putty. Came out pretty good so I brushed on some paint as primer. A couple of spots showed up but nothing I can't deal with. Not much to take pics of right now but it looks like I better figure out a paint scheme real quick.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Well happy belated 60th you young whipper snapper  ;D :thumbsup: Glad you had a good time.

Quote from: kerick on April 03, 2019, 05:01:50 PM
but it looks like I better figure out a paint scheme real quick.

How about an overall very light blue (rather like WWII synthetic haze blue ?) or maybe something darker along the lines of RAF WWII PR Blue ?

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 04, 2019, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: kerick on April 03, 2019, 05:01:50 PM
but it looks like I better figure out a paint scheme real quick.

How about an overall very light blue (rather like WWII synthetic haze blue ?) or maybe something darker along the lines of RAF WWII PR Blue ?

Pale blue, like the Tacit Blue stealth demonstrator (mentioned on p1) or how about ADC Gray (FS 16473/36473)?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm thinking of the dark underside and light topside as suggested earlier. That would look offbeat enough to suit me. Probably not black but a dark gray and light blue gray top. Kit decals just might prove handy for this.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on April 04, 2019, 08:57:53 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm thinking of the dark underside and light topside as suggested earlier.

That would work  :thumbsup: