Captain Canada

Stealthy lumps and bumps ? Nice !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Excellent use of materials, that early EOTS looks great!  :bow: :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

I attached the tail fins. Can't call them vertical or horizontal stabilizers! I had to trim them to fit as the mating surfaces did not match at all. The fuselage surface had a concave shape while the fin was flat. I think I got the angle correct. I have to fix the landing gear as the shape may be correct (at least it looks good) it will never support the weight of the model. Some reinforcing with straight pins will be required. Oh well, there is always some problem to overcome.
I tested some dark grey gloss paint from the hardware store on the one fin and after a couple weeks drying time it showed fingerprints as soon as I handled it. I hope different paint over it doesn't cause problems.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Quote from: kerick on June 16, 2019, 08:37:07 PM
<snip>
I tested some dark grey gloss paint from the hardware store on the one fin and after a couple weeks drying time it showed fingerprints as soon as I handled it. I hope different paint over it doesn't cause problems.

Sorry to tell bad news, but that paint will cause problems if you paint over it.  Painting over it will be like trying to pave over mud - dodgy at best, and a complete waste of time and resources.  You'll need to remove that "dark grey gloss paint from the hardware store".  I've tried painting over un-cured/dried paint and it's nothing but headaches.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kerick

I'm sure your right. I just have to figure out how to remove it now that I attached it to the fuselage. I'll try some spray on oven cleaner that should work quickly.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on June 17, 2019, 07:17:11 AM
I'll try some spray on oven cleaner that should work quickly.

That would be my reconmmendation, too, because you can even limit the affected areas on the model. And if the paint is not cured yet, it should work quick- and effectively.

kerick

I'll have to look and see if I have some. Another trip to the store!
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Sprayed some primer on the RF-23. Only one small portion of one stab had a bad reaction and crazed slightly. I'll take this as a win. Still can't decide on a color scheme. If I would get it together and use my airbrush I could mix the colors I want and get on with this job. I've had such bad luck with painting on my last few projects I really hesitate to try. Oh well, I won't get better at this by staring at it, I'll have to try something different.

The 1/48th scale gun pods might become 1/72nd scale fuel tanks. I haven't used them for their intended purpose in 20 years so might as well use them here. Minus the gun barrels and adding a tail cone and fins. What would a stealthy fuel tank really look like?
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

I agree, going by the looks of the weapons pods tested on the Super Hornet, it would never be a normal cylindrical shape.
Those guns pods look very familiar... Are those from a Monogram 1/48 F-5 kit?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 27, 2019, 03:06:39 AM

They look like SUU-23A gun pods carried by F-4s that didn't have guns, but I have no idea what scale they might be.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 27, 2019, 03:06:39 AM
I agree, going by the looks of the weapons pods tested on the Super Hornet, it would never be a normal cylindrical shape.

Yes they are! About time they get put to some use.
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Maybe a pair of storm shadow, JASSM or similar with the wings and intake removed?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

I'll look into it, sounds promising.
Tophe the Wise