Old Wombat's (possible) Scale-o-rama Builds

Started by Old Wombat, February 09, 2019, 08:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

You really struck a chorde with me, man.... the "F-19" is a strange favorite of mine from childhood so I was pretty delighted to see this!
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

I wasn't a child but I liked the look of it when the F-19 was "leaked" to the public.

As a whif-in-a-box, I'd love a good 1/48 version. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 22, 2019, 08:42:34 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 21, 2019, 07:15:08 AM
(Are Oz Army squaddies called squaddies or do they have a different slang name?)

"Diggers" is one common term, other services (Navy & Air Force) tend to call them "pongos". ;)

And the Army's name for the Air Force is "Brylcreme Boys" and for the Navy, "Squids".   ;D

Now, Guy, where did you get your Table, Folding, GS from?

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 22, 2019, 05:51:21 PM
You really struck a chorde with me, man.... the "F-19" is a strange favorite of mine from childhood so I was pretty delighted to see this!

That could become a GB theme - the "Fake/Media Hyp Model Kit", which could include any F-19 variant, Italeri's MiG-37 or the utterly wrong Italeri Mi-28 and ESCI Ka-34 kits. There are probably more candidates, e. g. some vintage SF/Space kits (like the 2001 stuff).

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on April 23, 2019, 12:29:01 AM
Now, Guy, where did you get your Table, Folding, GS from?

Brian, that particular item was scratch built from styrene & brass rod. ;)

TheChronicOne

I wasn't going to mention it because I don't mean to detract from the "main event", but I can't help but to focus on seemingly mundane things....     And since it was brought up, I guess I will mention it now, though;  as much as I like the aircraft, I think I'm most enamored with the table.  ;D     (I'm a simple man... )    ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Thanks for the compliments re: the table. :thumbsup:

It's a very basic scratch build based on the folding table I use for airbrushing.

A rectangle of styrene cut to appropriate size, 8 thin strips of styrene (1mm/1.5mm, can't remember which) for the edges, 10 pieces of 0.5mm(?) brass rod (I only really needed 9 to copy the real thing but I made a small error on the underside with the lay-out, so 10 it was) & 4 strips of really thin styrene (0.02mm?) about 0.5mm wide cut to overlap a bit for the bracing arms.

I'll take some "walk-around" photo's of the real thing & the model, & post them later for those who are interested.

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 23, 2019, 06:08:53 PM
...I'll take some "walk-around" photo's of the real thing & the model, & post them later for those who are interested.

Excellent, then we can nit pick it...
;D

Very good bit of work there mate.  The Crows hat is IMO the crowning (sic) achievement rather than the table.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2019, 07:32:12 PM
The Crows hat is IMO the crowning (sic) achievement rather than the table.

Was a bugger to paint & the "writing" is illegible but it adds a nice splash of colour. ;)

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 23, 2019, 07:46:43 PM

Was a bugger to paint & the "writing" is illegible but it adds a nice splash of colour. ;)

You have however set a precedent and I feel obliged to paint up a figure in a Footscray guernsey, scarf or hat...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 23, 2019, 01:46:03 AM
That could become a GB theme - the "Fake/Media Hyp Model Kit", which could include any F-19 variant, Italeri's MiG-37 or the utterly wrong Italeri Mi-28 and ESCI Ka-34 kits. There are probably more candidates, e. g. some vintage SF/Space kits (like the 2001 stuff).
Most Lindberg kits would probably qualify for this GB. Especially the Draken with the huge underslung pod which had a working spring-loaded firing mechanism. :rolleyes:

Would kits based on mockups (so not even flying prototypes) count? Revell EFA90 is of course distinct enough from the Typhoon that finally flew that it should qualify, but then there's the original Revell Gripen (complete with its horrible misrepresentation of BK90 cluster bombs and various Swedish ECM/recon pods if the wing fold trenches and foxhole-sized rivet holes were not awful enough), Matchbox Alpha Jet, Airfix Viggen...

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2019, 09:10:54 PM

You have however set a precedent and I feel obliged to paint up a figure in a Footscray guernsey, scarf or hat...

But aren't we pre-empting the "Sporting Colours" GB if we go down that path? :unsure: ;)

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 24, 2019, 09:02:28 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2019, 09:10:54 PM

But aren't we pre-empting the "Sporting Colours" GB if we go down that path? :unsure: ;)

Yes we are.  But I can't let this go unanswered... ;D  ;)

I've just checked and we don't play you until round 23.  Which is wrong.  IMO every team should have played every other team by round 18.
Fred

Old Wombat

Given the Crows' start to the year, you'll probably win. :-\

strobez

I wonder what it says about me that I search all four pages of this thread just to check out a 1/35 scale folding table...

It was worth the search though. The plane's nice too. :)
Thanks!

Greg