Humbrol enamel like melted chocolate

Started by steelpillow, February 13, 2019, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

I had a tin do that within a couple of weeks... I bought it, mixed it up thoroughly, tossed in a couple of BBs to help with future shaking and popped the lid down securely. A week or two later it had solidified all the way through.

Conversely, I have some old Humbrol Authentic Colours (remember those?) tins that are literally decades old; rusty, crusted and ill-sealed and all, which just needed a bit of thinner and a good shake with said BBs, and are good as new.
EDIT: I did make the effort to de-crust the tops, though...

I have also have one or two newer ones that seem to be so full the lids keep popping up for a while, before I manage to get them to behave.

And I learned the hard way that they don't like any old generic thinner, so I went back to the Humbrol branded stuff.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 23, 2019, 02:28:44 AM

Conversely, I have some old Humbrol Authentic Colours (remember those?) tins that are literally decades old; rusty, crusted and ill-sealed and all, which just needed a bit of thinner and a good shake with said BBs, and are good as new.

Yup I've still got loads, mainly the old military uniform colours though. Also found some old Metalcote tins and they are still perfect after a good shake....count to 200 whilst shaking  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

steelpillow

Quote from: steelpillow on February 22, 2019, 12:47:23 PM
I emailed Humbrol about it some days ago now and their promised response deadline has passed without a peep in reply. Looks like we are on our own with this one.

Of course, next thing is, Humbrol do reply:

"Thank you for your email, could you please send me images of the tins (base, side & top) so I can pass these on to our QC Team to look into this."

I intend to do so, I'll keep you informed.
Cheers.

murfv

I have recently been using a couple of the newer(couple of years ago) Humbrol range of RLM colours and while I gave them a vigorous shake & mix they remained quite syrupy the tinlet, once thinned with cellulose thinner in the first instance and Xtracolour quick drying thinners on the second (approx 50/50 for each) they both sparyed on with out any great drama.
I have to say though that I do find enamel paints much more labour intensive than using Tamiya or MrColour acrylics. 

Vincent
It's my hobby and I will enjoy it my way! :)