Tamiya USAAF P-74 Meteor...COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 17, 2019, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

After the ordeal that was Revell's 1/48 Tornado, it's time for a Shake-n-Bake kinda kit.  From what I've read Tamiya's Meteor F.3 seems to fit the bill. 

Off to a nice start this evening.  Markings will be either the OOB all over white scheme worn by the first three F.3 sent to Europe, or a USAAF scheme,Busy week at work, so I'll have plenty of time before that decision needs to be made. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Wooksta!

Go off at a tangent - go for a Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky finish and codes for one of the bomber defence training flight squadrons, whereby they're using them to train Lancaster and Lincoln gunners how to take on jets.

At least, that's what I've got planned for a Dragon Meteor F.Ia.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 17, 2019, 06:32:35 PM
Go off at a tangent - go for a Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky finish and codes for one of the bomber defence training flight squadrons, whereby they're using them to train Lancaster and Lincoln gunners how to take on jets.

At least, that's what I've got planned for a Dragon Meteor F.Ia.

Hmmm. Interesting idea too.  I'll think on that. 

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 17, 2019, 08:06:06 PM
Looks like a nice kit !

So far very nice.  Casual building session (i.e. also watching TV) for about 3 hours tonight has the fuselage and wings together.  I also have Eduard's PE set so going to get in the gear bay details and call it a night I think.  Even with a busyish week at work this should be a one-weeker.  Slightly leaning towards a USAAF '46 scheme.  OD over Neutral Gray with some nose art I'm thinking. 

I have Eduard's nice little 1/48 Bell X-1 in the stash and plan on building it in one of the white or orange/white scheme instead of the usual "Glamorous Glennis" one, so that decal may make it onboard to be Yeager's Meteor depicted following his first jet-on-jet kill in late '45 over Germany. 

Old Wombat

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on February 17, 2019, 08:11:41 PM
Slightly leaning towards a USAAF '46 scheme.  OD over Neutral Gray with some nose art I'm thinking. 

I have Eduard's nice little 1/48 Bell X-1 in the stash and plan on building it in one of the white or orange/white scheme instead of the usual "Glamorous Glennis" one, so that decal may make it onboard to be Yeager's Meteor depicted following his first jet-on-jet kill in late '45 over Germany.

Like the sound of that. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Done for the night...thankfully not an early day at work tomorrow since I got absorbed in building and lost track of time. 

Engines are done.  I didn't put much effort into detailing them or painting them since I intend to glue the engine covers on.  The just got a coat of Testors Metallizer Stainless Steel from a rattlecan and black accessory cases.  A little black wash and silver dry brushing on the accessory cases will make it look good enough given the limited amount visible from the intakes. 

The engines are the early RR Wellands, but I intend to use the supplied shorter tailpipe and extra nacelle scoops to produce a later Derwent-powered Meteor.  They look close enough to not matter with the nacelles closed up, but different enough to make sure they nacelles are closed up. 

Apparently the supplied belly tank was not used until the F.4, but it does look like it might make a nice cannon pack with four extra 20mm guns to make this Meteor the scourge of Nazi armor as a high speed, 8-gun tank-buster...

AeroplaneDriver

Converting the belly tank to a cannon pack to increase firepower to six 20mm guns...

TallEng

:thumbsup:
puts me in mind of the F.8 Meteor 'Reaper' but i can only recall that version with R.P's under the fuselage,
not sure if a gun pack was possible too?
it did have some rather neat looking tip tanks though see here picture top left https://www.google.com/search?q=gloster+meteor+reaper&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2rr3f28rgAhWjzqYKHY2kD6YQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=750#imgrc=_

regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

nighthunter

Don't forget the ejector ports! Lol!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Wooksta!

The Meteor was intended from the get go to carry 6 20mm Hispanos in the nose, but somewhere along the way, two got deleted so we got the aircraft we know.  However, it was plagued with stability problems until the extension was put in behind the cockpit. 

I'm of the opinion that taking the two cannons out unbalanced the aircraft and it was the weight rather than the length of the extension that cured it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

According to Phil Butler/Tony Buttler's  Aerofax book Gloster Meteor, the two extra cannon (which btw were to be installed low down and either side of the nose wheel bay) were deleted because they were regarded as "overload" above the intended aircraft weight of 10,000lb (page 7, very right hand side). There's a nice 3-View of the prototype with six cannon on the same page.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Tony Buttler's latest British Fighters book shows a drawing of a Meteor with EIGHT cannon! That version had the normal four cannon nose but with NF11 wings, which of course had an extra four cannon.

He doesn't recount what would have happened at the hapless pilot fired all eight at once..........  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Another shot of the F.8 Reaper, loaded for bear:

Four or eight RP's may be more feasible for an earlier machine, especially since your adding extra cannon?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Mossie on February 21, 2019, 04:24:28 PM
Another shot of the F.8 Reaper, loaded for bear:

Four or eight RP's may be more feasible for an earlier machine, especially since your adding extra cannon?

Im toying with the idea of tip tanks and some RPs.  Im in need of a nice quick, easy build though so the tip tanks may get ditched.  Off all day today and never touched it.   Maybe the muse will strike soon and I'll finish it up.  A lovely kit and quick to go together so I need to get it done.