F-5U Morsair (December 2004 - May 2008)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Wanted to see how BORING a Corsair would look if you took away its most definitive features: the gull-wing, the giant prop, wingtip and stabilizer tip shapes, tail fin shape and location...here are some initial cutting lines.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

More roughed in cut-lines...

John Howling Mouse

And then the styrene loses a fight with the bandsaw...

John Howling Mouse

Super-imposed on a rough sketch of the profile being sought.

John Howling Mouse

The rough sketch without the parts.
Had hoped to use a Mustang or P-47 bubble canopy but no dice.

You realize this means I have to somehow shape a pattern to fit the canopy void and vac-form my own canopy (!)

Yikes.

Captain Canada

Morse-Air, sounds like a little know Albertan airline !

And I'm thinking, with all the cool features gone, it would be a Bore-sair !

:wub:

Happy chopping !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteMorse-Air, sounds like a little know Albertan airline !

And I'm thinking, with all the cool features gone, it would be a Bore-sair !
Heh, I did consider "Borsair" but, when I saw the way it was coming together once I started choppin, I started to feel that it wasn't going to end nearly as boring as I had first anticipated.

It's going to have a desert scheme of some type: pale tans up top, sky or camo grey underside.

Actually, that does sound kinda boring now, doesn't it?

<_<  

Tophe

QuoteI have to somehow shape a pattern to fit the canopy void and vac-form my own canopy (!)
Great project, but... isn't there a commercial kit of the bubble General Motors F2G Super Corsair :wub: ?
The pictures below comes from the wonderful site  :wub: http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/Merchandis...ints/Prints.htm
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quoteisn't there a commercial kit of the bubble General Motors F2G Super Corsair :wub: ?
There is one available, and 2 forthcoming... :)  

noxioux

It's looking suspiciously like an anemic Bearcat, but cool nonetheless.  Maybe if you did a clever desert splinter scheme it wouldn't be too yawn-inducing.

Perhaps this is a missing chapter in the WWII naval fighter program, sometime just after the finishing touches had been put on the Hellcat.  Or it could even be an early Japanese counter to the Hellcat. . .

It really isn't that boring, is it?

For the canopy, I would pack the original canopy with some oil base modeling clay, and just mold it carefully to fill the gap.  Then it's really simple to make a mold, and cast your blank for vacu-forming.  That's what I would try.

Tophe

QuoteWanted to see how a Corsair would look if you took away its most definitive feature: the gull-wing, the giant prop
I thought I have seen something like that before, and found a picture in my Web savings, alas I don't remember from where... I hope this modeller is one of us here and will show a better view, for Barry-John to build a different one, uh... T-tail F4U? :) ;)  

Tophe

Quotea Corsair with straight wing and tiny prop
I thought about it belately: both "new" features would allow to build a solid Twin-Corsair... I try - I will post it within the Twin-Whirl/Cat topic.
Thanks again, Barry
:)

nev

Nothings ever easy with you is it Barry?  :D

Still, I know that this is gunna look sweeeeeeet, coming from the world reknowned Snell Works  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

QuoteNothings ever easy with you is it Barry?  :D

Still, I know that this is gunna look sweeeeeeet, coming from the world reknowned Snell Works  B)
Thanks, Nev.
It is coming along this a.m. (unlike a lot of my colleagues at the plant, I'm lucky enough to have Boxing day off).

But Ms. Hitler keeps making comments re: "Why aren't you playing with your daughter?"

Uh, because she's playing with Polly Pockets (4" tall mini-dolls), for one thing.

I'm putting in reinforcement/stiffening bars on the edges of all cutlines this morning.

Taking plenty of in-progress photos too which I will load here, in case anyone else on the board finds themselves slipping quietly into insanity with me and wants to try something similar.

It's the shaping and vac-forming of the canopy that has me most concerned though..... :unsure:  

John Howling Mouse

Cowling extension pieces...