F-5U Morsair (December 2004 - May 2008)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

JHM,

I probably would've swapped the prop for a smaller blade-length five-bladed prop to still fully use all the engine's power.  But it's your model, not mine so charge ahead.

Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Leigh

QuoteHmmm maybe we could have a group build to take pretty planes and make them look like they were built in pre-war France?
Ugly Spitfires?
Ugly Mustangs?
easy way to make a Spitfire or a Mustang ugly

Stick Kate Garraway in the cockpit.

I'll be in the bomb shelter for the next few days then.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJHM,

I probably would've swapped the prop for a smaller blade-length five-bladed prop to still fully use all the engine's power.  But it's your model, not mine so charge ahead.

Evan
Hey, that's a great idea!

I can still do that, too.

Will make it look even more like the hotrod it's intended to be.

Okay, hot-shot engineer: since I will likely make my own 5-bladed prop, what scale length should each blade be in order to maximize engine output?  In inches or mm so I don't have to convert (math of any form makes my head hurt).

Or should I just copy my Spitfire Mk 22/24 prop?

Me:  :dum:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

elmayerle

As long as it gives adequate ground clearance with the tricycle gear, I'd just copy the Spitfire Mk. 22/24 prop or, if you've got one, the Sea Fury prop.  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

Let's see: that's 360 degrees divided by 5 equals a prop tip at every 72 degrees...

:wacko:  

Tophe

QuoteIn inches or mm so I don't have to convert (math of any form makes my head hurt).
QuoteLet's see: that's 360 degrees divided by 5 equals a prop tip at every 72 degrees... :wacko:
Take it simply, dear: if you need clear figures and intuitive units, it is 2x3.141593/5 radians, or, even more simple, use the estimated 2x355/113/5 radians. Uh, by the way, I am selling aspirin, in case of... I have many client that ordered before, but if you simply pay one thousand dollars the pill, you would have priority. Very simple: 1,000 (Canadian $ of yours), only.

[I am joking. I have always feel unfair that school reward was based on mathematics almost only, rather than music skills, handiwork ability, drawing creation...]
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJust had some very naughty thoughts about gull-wings on Mustangs and Thunderbolts.
Ohhhhhhh boy...   :o

Tophe can certainly draw them faster than I can scratchbuild them.
Care to have a go at it, Monsieur X-Toff?

^_^  

Tophe

QuoteJust had some very naughty thoughts about gull-wings on Mustangs and Thunderbolts.
Tophe can certainly draw them faster than I can scratchbuild them. ^_^
Models are better than drawings, I think. Drawing is mainly a way in a few minutes to get some preview of what the model could be, especially when many possibilities are in balance.
I may help that way if you want. If you confirm, just tell me what you mean as 'gull wing'? Like F4U/Ju87 low-wing (W) or Mariner (M) or else

John Howling Mouse

Tophe can certainly draw them faster than I can scratchbuild them. ^_^
Models are better than drawings, I think. Drawing is mainly a way in a few minutes to get some preview of what the model could be, especially when many possibilities are in balance.
I may help that way if you want. If you confirm, just tell me what you mean as 'gull wing'? Like F4U/Ju87 low-wing (W) or Mariner (M) or else
Gull-wing: like a Corsair.
Exactly.

Tophe

Well, here is the Jeffry Howling Tophe P-82gul. It took about 15 minutes mouse-clicking with my Canadian software Corel Draw 6, from my P-82 old basis.
* Why a W gull wing on a Mustang?: as for the F4U project, too much power may lead to a giant 4-bladed propeller, too long fragile legs (landing gear), while a gull-wing decrease the distance wing/ground thus allows solid legs.
* Moreover, on a Twin-Mustang, an actual W wing (rather than WW or V-straight-V or V-V-V) increase in the center the distance wing-ground, providing room for a giant extra-tank, or a giant radar. Nice addition to the Mustang family, thanks JF & JHM. :)

I have 2 or 3 P-82 kits (Monogram 1/72), but not the skills to build this gull one :( . I will probably take the center wing and tailplane to adapt them to a port P-51A fuselage and starboard P-51C fuselage...

Tophe

QuoteWell, here is the Jeffry Howling Tophe P-82gul
* Why a W gull wing on a Mustang?: as for the F4U project, too much power may lead to a giant 4-bladed propeller, too long fragile legs (landing gear), while a gull-wing decrease the distance wing/ground thus allows solid legs.
* Moreover, on a Twin-Mustang, an actual W wing (rather than WW or V-straight-V or V-V-V) increase in the center the distance wing-ground, providing room for a giant extra-tank, or a giant radar. Nice addition to the Mustang family, thanks JF & JHM. :)
I know, I know, no need of twin-fuselage to justify gull-wing by increasing the distance load-support/ground. The A-36/P-51A dive bomber (Apache Mustang) could have use the W-wing of the Stuka Ju87 (or Loire-Nieuport LN401 on the good side)...

Tophe

QuoteI have 2 or 3 P-82 kits (Monogram 1/72), but not the skills to build this gull one :( . I will probably take the center wing and tailplane to adapt them to a port P-51A fuselage and starboard P-51C fuselage...
And with the remaining parts, I may build a P-82 with P-51 separate tailplanes... maybe.

John Howling Mouse

Christophe, you magician, can you please please please also render a single fuselage P-51 Mustang with the bent gull-wing like a Corsair's?  Please.

Please?

^_^  

Tophe

QuoteChristophe, you magician, can you please please please also render a single fuselage P-51 Mustang with the bent gull-wing like a Corsair's?  Please.
Please?
You know, a single fuselage, no boom, no asymmetry... this is painful for me :(
But for a dear friend imploring, I can be strong and face the pain ;)

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, you're a good man, Tophe!