F-5U Morsair (December 2004 - May 2008)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Wow! that's exactly how I would have done it!   :P

Looks great Barry, I like the slow methodical unveiling process...kinda like watching paint dry  :dum:

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

B777LR

now the bare alumuim looks good.
sorry to say it, but i think i will finish my morsair before you.  

John Howling Mouse

Quotenow the bare alumuim looks good.
sorry to say it, but i think i will finish my morsair before you.
Why do I suddenly feel like "Luke" with his right hand cut-off?

Is yours in 1:72, B777LR?

Hey, look: more aluminum shots.  Can't even tell there's multiple metal hues yet.
Might have made the distinctions too subtle.  Will be masking again today and doing some in dull coat then the rest in a darker metal finish.

Then decals.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Ugh, more tape.

Next step is to dull the remaining exposed aluminum finish.

K5054NZ

Baz, your talent continues to amaze and astonish this egotistical maniac. Great stuff, and I can't even begin to imagine how beautiful this boring lil plane will be - whatever image I dream up simply won't do this justice!

Persevere with the NMF shading my man, you're bound to get it perfect!

B777LR

QuoteWhy do I suddenly feel like "Luke" with his right hand cut-off?

Is yours in 1:72, B777LR?

How can you feel like luke with the chopped off hand?

My morsair is 1/72 and is an ol airfix kit

wolfik

John...it looks really great! and a great idea is it too.
I was sometimes thinking about a corsair with non "crestfallen" wings but your idea is the right choice to do this ...
:cheers:  

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.  I'm like a kid at Christmas morning who just found out he got a new bike.  Peeled off the multiple layers of tape (always my favorite part) and it looks grrrrrrrrrrreat, if I do say so, myself.

I can't often claim this but she looks way better in person than she does in these pics.  As you view the model in person from different angles, the shifting light really shows off the three multiple panel hues.  I'm going to see if a quick digital video shot will capture that effect.  In these pics, I can only make out two of the three nmf hues.

I'll be dirtying it up a bit, still.  Rough up the walkways and antiglare panel some.  Have to pull the masking out of the wing-mounted cooler intakes, scratchbuild a bunch of ordnance pylons (she's a mud-mover, for sure) and affix the big, customized prop to my conical, resin prop hub.  There's also liquid masking agent on the six exhaust pipes that's gonna be a bear to remove (been on way too long!). Now that much of the finish is matte and needs to stay that way, putting decals on is going to be a challenge (?).

Then the real fun of vacforming my custom, oversized teardrop canopy starts!

Coming atcha!

SimonR

You totally nailed it! Very, very authentic looking finish on a totally realistic looking aircraft.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

retro_seventies

stunning!

love the head on view - she's a tough looking old boiler!  :wub:  :wub:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Ollie

Whoa, that's one seriously nice NMF!

:wub:  

BlackOps

Now that was freakin' worth waiting for! Came out beautiful Barry! I really like it quite a bit.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Mr Howling Mouse that is simply stunning! I clearly see all three shades of metal in the first two shots. That's gotta be one of the best NMF demonstrations I've ever seen. You never fail to impress and amaze me.

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, Guys.  I've since dirtied the upper parts a little:

And I've started work on the scratchbuilt pylons.  Nothing too major here as the old pylons didn't seem to be very complex back then.  Just some rivet details and I'll put on some kind of brackets later.  The applied wedges you see are to make up for the underside's wingshape and the dihedral.

Damian2

Damn John this plane keeps looking better and better!!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.