F-5U Morsair (December 2004 - May 2008)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWouldn't an F2-G be an easier starting point ?, no matter looking interesting so far. Be nice to see what the final configuation comes out like (BTW how about a contra prop to replace the huge thingy from the original ?)

Geoff B B)
Do you have a photo of the F-2G you've suggested?

"how about a contra prop to replace the huge thingy from the original ?)"
Ah hell, now that's a good idea, too!  The elongated nose would sure accommodate that look.  But I just got home from sneaking in a couple of new kits I've bought today more for their props (for this project) than anything else since I've decided not to use my clipped tri-blade prop from the Corsair kit after all.  

It's funny: you read about the Corsair's huge prop diameter (like 13' ?) and how the inverted gull-wing was utilized to accommodate the prop size but I never realized how big that truly was until I started comparing the kit's prop to those of other aircraft in the same scale!

Decisions, decisions...now where IS that old Typhoon kit lurking about?

:wacko:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ollie

Geoff, I said Typhoon because he could have used a P-47 unit too, which is widely available as a vac set.

Barry, do what you must buddy!!

:wub:  :wub:  :cheers:  :cheers:  

Ollie

Here's the only airworthy F2G Barry.

John Howling Mouse

Wow, that's something else!

I just found a website with a conversion by Rodney Williams that I find incredible!
Believe he has done the same scheme Ollie shows as well!

http://www.skywriters.net/Gallery/rwilliams.htm

John Howling Mouse

I'm guessing this one is 1:72?  I'll have to go back and read.
Some people sure are talented----yikes!

John Howling Mouse

One of the kits I bought for a prop today was the 1:48 Italeri A-1H Skyraider.
Was thinking about Ollie's Typhoon canopy idea and tried out the Skyraider's canopy...

...with a bit of added sculpting, the Skyraider's canopy will be a great starting point!  Much less work than starting from scratch.

Have a look at the mock-up so far.  You can see where some gaps will have to be filled but the overall outer profile of the canopy in situ is fine by me!

;)  

Ollie

Truely amazing buddy!!

:wub:  :wub:  

Tophe

QuoteStabilizers have been reshaped to be more squared off than the "real" aircraft.
exactly squared as the "real" Mustang...  I think I will try a version with a P-51D canopy too. Thanks for enriching our dreams, Barry :)  :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Ollie

He's not loosing anything, the bend is merely straightened out!

;)  

John Howling Mouse

Quite right, Ollie.  In fact, with squared off wingtips replacing the rounded originals, you could actually say the wing area will be slightly increased.

I was trying to locate the cutaway drawings I know I've seen in books before of the Corsair to get a better idea of what would be aft of the rear ring of engine cylinders when I came across this site (below).

Have a look at this Hawaiian modeler's aluminum cutaway Corsair.  I saw an article on Mr. Park in FSM but this site is far more detailed.  The insane degree of detail is making me dizzy and I think I'm gonna be sick.

Wow... :wacko:

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Park.htm  

:wub:  

John Howling Mouse

Very basic mock-up photo 1...just to see the overall proportions of the bird.

John Howling Mouse

Supertom

Wow, man-ho, that's starting to look real good.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Captain Canada

Mauling !

And that Vultee bird does look pretty similar, eh ? Be hard to see out of the extra-thick birdcage !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Did the rough pattern for the canopy and cast a couple of spares in case my Dremel slips...yawn...   :zzz: