F-5U Morsair (December 2004 - May 2008)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

One of my absolute favorite projects of yours. This truely shows the separation between the Big Dogs and the puppy piddlers. Simply outstanding! :mellow:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

puddingwrestler

ARG!ARG!ARG!ARG!ARG! Complete awesomeness overload (clutched head, brain threatens to leak out of left nostril)

You sir are either a complete and total nutter or an excellet scale replica of one. Haven't made my mind up yet...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Sisko

Sorry to hear about the cracks in your model.

Looks like you have it under control though.

The canopy is really going to test your mettle
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

nev

Be interested to see how you fix that canopy issue - not that there's any suspense involved.  Just like you know the by the end of the episode Captain Kirk will save the newly discovered planet and shag the green skinned alien bird, so you know JHM will produce another flawless masterpiece  :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

Quote from: B777LR on April 06, 2008, 11:23:54 AM
Pure sexiness! Just place the rear part of the canopy in the open position. Nobody would notice!
Perfect choice to me!
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Barry, this is brilliant.  A suggestion to overcome the canopy problem but it might be a bit late in the game.  Use your razor saw and cut a 'Vee' from the back of the canopy opening to the start of the fin along the ridge line, the wide end of the Vee being at the canopy end.  Then pinch in the fuselage so it becomes narrower at the top.  It might mess up a bit of your paint work though
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

John Howling Mouse

The progress is coming in short bits here and there but it is moving along.

The modified prop bits and my "dual" bomb rack.

I've also managed to fit my scratchbuilt weapons pylons to the wings (no pics of that yet).
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

jeff3385

Being a relative newcomer to this forum, the recent posts alerted me to this thread and I have just spent at least an hour reading this epic saga of the Morsair. My eyes are bleary and I think the blood had pooled in my legs sitting here, but it was a very enjoyable read. I want to jump on the Bazwagon and add my meager praises for a beautiful build. To have devoted so much time and energy to this build, and not allowed setbacks to stop you speaks volumes for your dedication to your art; either that or you truly are certifiable and belong in a rubber room at the laughing academy. I think I speak for the rest of the rooting section when I say that we would really miss you in that case.
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

Brian da Basher

I really like the look of those dual bomb racks, Mr Howling Mouse!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Sheer artwork, absolutely stunning.  The dual racks are very convincing, wonderful work as always, Sir JHM !

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys!

I made a little spacer for the prop to fit:

And here it is, in situ (although it's not glued nor pushed all the way on yet):

I'm trying to figure out what order of fabrication is more efficient/sensible: getting the flimsy vacformed canopy to fit the dissimilar cockpit aperture then affixing all the flimsy underwing bits or vice versa.  Either way, I run the risk of damaging whichever fragile attachments are first attached on the opposite side.  Any ideas?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ytown2010

JHM, have the plane sit on top of that tub you used for the picture of it wearing the prop. should be able to give you enough stability.

HOG

Hi Jhm
If you fix the underside bits you`ve got 2+ areas of worry. If you fit the canopy 1st, it`s at least central. When working on fiddly kits in the past I have either constructed from cereal box card a taped on wall around the fragile part to protect it from knocks or made a stand from slighly thicker card stock to support the model when working on the other side somthing like this

You can tape the model to the support to give both hands free.  I usually stick tissue to the tape which will touch the model for protection and leave the ends uncoverd to stick on the box support.
alternatives are
invent anti_grav
industrial strength vac on blow
:drink:
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

cthulhu77

Oh great. Now you have opened up a can of worms. JHM will invent antigrav,and then he will have to be put away just like Tesla.

I hope you are happy.