F-5U Morsair (December 2004 - May 2008)

Started by John Howling Mouse, December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

The Antonov Design Team beat you to that thrid one in 1/1 scale with the An-74-300.

The swept T-33 sould be a two-seat version of the F-80E proposal (see Jay Miller's book on the Skunk Works).

Grumman had at least one fixed wing version in their F-14 design iteration, I'd use a pari fo F-15 wings (say from a F-15 converted to v-g?).

The single-finned Mitchell could draw on the changes from the prototype to production B-32 and on the B-28.

Inverting the nose on a F-94A or B would not, IMHO, be a good move because the existing configuration hides the muzzle flash quite nicely.  What would be interesting is the proposed T2V-1/F-94C cross Lockheed proposed to eqip the Navy's light carriers - especially if you then crossed that with the F-80E.

"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Ollie

Wow Evan, we posted at one minute interval!

Great minds think alike!

:cheers:  

elmayerle

QuoteWow Evan, we posted at one minute interval!

Great minds think alike!

:cheers:
*chuckle* Yep.  Actually, the Skyfox kept the exisitng wing, replacing the tip tanks with winglets.  The big change was a new, more streamlined nose with fairing over the old engine intakes and a new tail section with swept surfaces and two pylon mounted TFE731's (same nacelles as the Falcon 20 for those considering a 1/48 conversion of a T-33 kit).

Ollie

Whoa, thanks for the update on the Skyfox!!

;)  :lol:  

elmayerle

QuoteWhoa, thanks for the update on the Skyfox!!
No problem.  I paid attention when the aircraft was described in AWST with the idea of doing it myself, especially after I got some pics of it at an Edwards Open House.

retro_seventies

Skyfox.

LOVE the ideas list Barry, a couple there that have crossed my mind before, but certainly the odds are with you on making them first and making them MUCH better than i could!

I've thought about the fixed wing Tornado a whole lot, with a nice cranked tail less delta wing instead of the regular VG - planty more pylons, more internal fuel (with it having a "wet" wing) and would make a GREAT stand off bomb truck for GPS guided weapons and stormshadows.

i had some sketches a while ago, i'll see if i can find them....

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteBarry, that's bad, you have 3 projects scooped by the real builders!   :o   :cheers:  :cheers:
No way!  It's actually great to imagine other dreamers out there coming up with the same ideas.  

Nearly proves my sanity.

My sweptwing CF-100 dreamer was turned into a 1:1 scale mock-up as well.
And I did see the normalized An-74 but that was AFTER I came up with the idea!   ^_^

You wouldn't believe how many screenplay concepts I've dreamed up which have been turned into actual films by others, too!

^_^  Oh well....
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteBarry, that's bad, you have 3 projects scooped by the real builders!   :o   :cheers:  :cheers:
No way!  It's actually great to imagine other dreamers out there coming up with the same ideas.  

Nearly proves my sanity.

My sweptwing CF-100 dreamer was turned into a 1:1 scale mock-up as well.
And I did see the normalized An-74 but that was AFTER I came up with the idea!   ^_^

You wouldn't believe how many screenplay concepts I've dreamed up which have been turned into actual films by others, too!

^_^  Oh well....

elmayerle

*soft chuckle*  Actually, John, there's also an artist conception out there of what the HF-73 looked like that resembles nothing so much as Torando F.3 with the fixed wings and twin verticals of a slightly scaled down F-15.

Leigh

Ok I prostrate myself in reverence to a master builder :o
Not only is that one of the coolest things I've seen but I am also blown away by

1. All that work and you've still got time to take pics and post them.

2. Where's all the clutter on the modelling bench? You have time to clean up after yourself? I sit down for ten minutes and it looks like a cannon has gone bof-bof-bof-bof at my bench.

The Morsair is far from boring it's beautiful, kinda reminds me of a Martin Mauler.
Not being Canadian I think planes that pretty should be shiny black with a big red star on them.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Geoff_B

Quote- F-102 and/or F-106 with regular wings (like those of a Mirage F.1);

How about using the wings deisgned for the Mirage F-2 as this was more the size of the F102/6 and somewhat more gracefull.

Just an idea though.

Nice concept ideas JHM.

Cheers

Geoff B

John Howling Mouse

How about using the wings deisgned for the Mirage F-2 as this was more the size of the F102/6 and somewhat more gracefull.
Well, I waaaaaaaaaaas actually gonna scratchbuild the wings to suit, but you have a point there.  Would save me about three days worth of work, too.

Now, does anyone make an F.2 in 1:48 scale????

elmayerle

Well, I waaaaaaaaaaas actually gonna scratchbuild the wings to suit, but you have a point there.  Would save me about three days worth of work, too.

Now, does anyone make an F.2 in 1:48 scale????
I don't think anyone makes a Mirage F.2 kit in any scale, so you'll probably have to scratchbuild it anyway.  Fro the F-102/106 conversion, I'd suggest a low-mounted wing to pick up the main gear and the horizontal tail where ever seems best to you.

Tophe

Coming back to the initial subject, the USAF writing F-5U Morsair was surprising, the USN writing F5U-1 Morsair would have been more clear, a F4U-7 Corsair derivative replacing the nice but doomed XF5U-1 Flapjack circular wing (I have a model of this one to build).
In both code systems, F means Fighter, while:
- in Pentagon rules F-5U means version U from Nr5 of the F- class
- in Navy rules F5U-1 meant version 1 from Nr5 of the U- subclass (Vought) of the F- class.
So... what-if a F-5U would have comen after the Northrop F-5A and F-5G? To come back from dreams to logics, the relation to the F4U would have been a nose radial-piston-engine for long staying above the clouds waiting for the enemy bombers to fight... No? :)  :wacko:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quotereplacing the nice but doomed XF5U-1 Flapjack circular wing (I have a model of this one to build).
Yes, what-if...?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]