Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - Finished pics page 14

Started by zenrat, February 25, 2019, 11:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Finished...

...apart from some panel line pin washing.  And then i'll have to set up Dadswell Bridge for photos.
Main (A10) undercarriage legs are possibly a bit liong giving it a distinct nose down stance.  However I can claim this is deliberate to put the engines level...

It struck me yesterday that as well as being suitable for Flying Machines of Unconventional Means this would also have qualified for Engines - More or Less.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 05, 2019, 05:36:43 AM

It struck me yesterday that as well as being suitable for Flying Machines of Unconventional Means this would also have qualified for Engines - More or Less.

Two GBs at once, eh? That would tax the supply of moderators for sure, and Chris would probably explode!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Which is why unlike other sites we only run one GB at a time - normally  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

While you await the beauty pics, here is a teaser.
Rotodyne 2.0 WIP 08-08-2019 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Oh YES!

That's splendid!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fairey Rotodyne Mk2.

Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - 13 of 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Mark 2 Rotodyne compound helicopter shared major components with the Mark 1 (AKA Model Y) but was longer, taller, more powerful, faster and louder.  It did away with turboprops in favour of a pair of Bristol-Siddeley Cerberus turbojets mounted on the wings.  Air for the rotor tip jets was provided by a Bristol-Siddeley Pegasus which, mounted above the passenger cabin at the base of the rotor pylon, also provided additional thrust for forward motion.

Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - 2 of 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The main undercarriage of the Mark 2 was located in sponsons mounted either side of the fuselage beneath the high mounted wings.  The legs could be hydraulically retracted or re-extended in order to put the rear load ramp closer to the ground or increase clearance for take off.  The aircraft pictured above has the legs extended to maximum height.  This was done when taxiing in order to lift the jet efflux as high as possible.

Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - 10 of 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Performance
Maximum speed: 286 mph
Cruise speed: 250 mph
Range: 450 mi
Service ceiling: 16,000 ft

Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - 11 of 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

TAA (Trans Australia Airlines) purchased five 'dynes with options for another ten.  Their range was too short to be able to do the non stop capitol city runs (with the exception of Melbourne/Hobart) but two were used from Melbourne to Victorian and Tasmanian cities while a third did similar duty from Sydney.  The remaining two were dedicated to Canberra, shuttling between the Harold Holt Helipad and Melbourne or Sydney city centre.  These routes proved very popular with politicians particularly after the end of the parliamentary week on Wednesday afternoon and again before it restarted the following Tuesday lunchtime.  The Pollie Shuttle operated regularly for three years but in the end it proved uneconomical as while it was fully booked when parliament was sitting is was empty the other 48 weeks a year.

Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - 16 of 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model
Airfix 1/72 Rotodyne.
Hasgegawa 1/72 Harrier fuselage and wheels.
Italeri 1/72 Ilyushin Il-28 engines.
Matchbox 1/72 Fairchild A-10 inner wings and undercarriage fairings.
Scratch building & PSR.
Transfers from Airfix 1/72 Fokker F-27 Friendship.

Fairey Rotodyne 2.0 - 20 of 20 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

PR19_Kit

Pure brilliance, no other word fits.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just LOVE the way you sorted the backstory to solve the landing gear length problem, and the sideways jab at the politicos is superb.  ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Wooksta!

"Well, I think it looks like a giant lavatory."
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 10, 2019, 05:05:39 AM
Pure brilliance, no other word fits.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just LOVE the way you sorted the backstory to solve the landing gear length problem, and the sideways jab at the politicos is superb.  ;D ;D

With Kit all the way on this one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est