HP Hartlepool - Finished with Pictures !

Started by Modelling_Mushi, February 26, 2019, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modelling_Mushi

Well, it's taken about as long as developing the real HP Hampden, but the end is in sight. So, there will be some photos soon.

In the meantime, the backstory.

Another Sunday in Whitehall, another week of dire news as the German occupation continues; worse yet, anther week of Winston. It’s hard enough as it is without his grandstanding, without his interference, but this? And now?

Viscount Swinton leant back, examined the desk in front of him. Three manila folders, three problems, three people in his waiting room; but only one directive. “Sort these out promptly old chap, we must allow every Briton the chance to offer their blood, toil, tears, and sweat.” All well and good for a first term PM, but for an Air Minister? He sighed, picked up the first folder.

Well of course Coastal Command want five more squadrons, they’d take twenty if I could find them, which branch wouldn’t? But now it’s all Spitfires and Hurricanes for Fighter Command. And Bowhill seems to think the damned things’ll fly themselves.

Then there’s Frederick Handley-Page. Why should I keep his Hampden line open, the damnable plane's only good for German ack-ack practice or the colonials. Innovative? He threw the folder back in disgust.
Only idiots would build bombers with wings too short to climb above 24,000 feet, the crews already think the Halifax is a death trap, what will they think of this thing? Anyway, I can’t keep it open, not with the lack of strategic materials.

Finally, as if it wasn’t bad enough the ATA agitating for an active role, somehow that Gower woman’s got Winston’s ear. So she has 8 pilots, and can promise 166 by years end. He’s demanding it, she has the public behind her and, more critically, my wife. How many more nights on the settee, how many more?

But, he mused, there was some good news. Lumber supply, particularly spruce, ash and marine ply are ridiculously good. Then there’s Vickers and their field trials of that airborne QF 2 pounder anti-tank gun.
Smooth bore. Lightweight. Rocket propelled. Armour piercing. Recoil-less. Viscount Swinton lit his pipe, played with the flimsy, smiled.

It’s one thing if I send them packing, but what can anyone say if they reject a perfectly reasonable offer? With the three of them stewing outside for the past two hours, perhaps all is not lost. He stacked the folders together; yes, this is perfect.

“I think,” he started as the three settled into chairs opposite him “there is a solution to all our problems ... .”

Thus was born the Handley Page Hartlepool, the Coastal Command-only variant of the Hampden. A single seat attack aircraft used for trade defence and North Sea reconnaissance, it was made of wood, carried one forward firing and one rearward firing QF 2(A) 40mm armour piercing cannon, plus underwing hardpoints for 10 HVAR rockets or bombs. A sea plane with clipped wings optimised for low altitude work in rough weather, ten squadrons were eventually stood up, with all female crews, between late 1940 to mid 1946 when the last aircraft was retired.

The model will depict F for Farcical from No. 748 WRAF(C) squadron, “Pankhurst’s Pirates”, flown alternately by Flight Lieutenants Rosemary Rees and Freydis Mary Leaf in late 1943.

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

My mind is ALREADY boggled!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

stevehed

Very interesting. Was Dick Dastardly's design team involved?

kitbasher

I've often imagined a night fighter Hampden (similar to Blenheim, Boston/Havoc, Do217 and Ju88 bombers converted into night fighters).  Guns in the nose, radar fit akin to Blenheims, overall Special Night.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Quote from: kitbasher on October 02, 2020, 11:46:05 PM
I've often imagined a night fighter Hampden (similar to Blenheim, Boston/Havoc, Do217 and Ju88 bombers converted into night fighters).  Guns in the nose, radar fit akin to Blenheims, overall Special Night.

It might have had trouble getting up to the enemy bombers.  Service ceiling of 19,000'.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 03, 2020, 04:58:57 AM

It might have had trouble getting up to the enemy bombers.  Service ceiling of 19,000'.

Might have made a reasonable night intruder ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A wooden one may have been lighter...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 03, 2020, 05:41:55 AM
A wooden one may have been lighter...............

Should float better
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: zenrat on October 03, 2020, 04:58:57 AM

Maybe.  I imagine it'd be lighter than a fully laden bomber Hampden so maybe that'd help improve the ceiling.

zenrat

Longer wings would obviously be required.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 03, 2020, 06:02:16 AM

Longer wings would obviously be required.

Obviously....................  ;D

Regards
Kit

Modelling_Mushi

Took some happy snaps tonight, they will have to do for now ... or maybe for a while.

Hope it's been worth the wait.

Ciao
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

An AWESOME looking machine!  :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

At least she'd never have any problems 'unsticking' in smooth seas, just fire the rear facing 40 mm and she'd be airborne in seconds!  ;)

Regards
Kit