RSAF Goshawk

Started by Scotaidh, March 02, 2019, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Neither I nor the bloke who made the decals for me can work out why the ones he sent me aren't working.  I've tried cold water, warm water, and hot water, and they refuse to separate.  Never quite met this before.

However, I just got the latest Micro Mark catalogue - featuring a decal-making set-up for ink-jet printers.  :)  It's now on order.  When it arrives I'll have a go at re-making them. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

What I am wainting for the most is not decals/roundels but the canopy, giving this aircraft its full (wonderful  :wub: ) silhouette. I hope there will be a canopy :unsure: ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Some decal paper manufacturers have very variable quality control, as I've found to my disgust. I've sent more than one pack back and demanded replacement for exactly that reason.

Some don't mark the actual paper to show which is clear or white, which is a REAL pain. I write 'W' or 'C' on the reverse of all my sheets these days.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 05, 2019, 02:13:31 AM
Neither I nor the bloke who made the decals for me can work out why the ones he sent me aren't working.  I've tried cold water, warm water, and hot water, and they refuse to separate.  Never quite met this before.

I've never, to my knowledge, used home made transfers, but I have had this happen with some very, very old kit transfers from the collection. When I say old they are probably 30/40 years old or more . Others of the same vintage, and the same manufacturer of kits, work fine  :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on April 05, 2019, 03:15:51 AM
What I am wainting for the most is not decals/roundels but the canopy, giving this aircraft its full (wonderful  :wub: ) silhouette. I hope there will be a canopy :unsure: ;)

There will indeed be a canopy, my friend - but I spray a matte clear-coat over the decals to seal them to the model.  I don't want to have to mask the canopy.  :)  I'm lazy that way. 

It's why I use a brush instead of spraying - I very seldom have to mask anything.  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Scotaidh

Thanks, Kit, for the tip. I'll watch out for that clear/white bit.

I tried making some home transfers once, using the same printer that I have now.  It didn't work.

If I can't get anything to work, then as a last resort I'm just going to cut out the decals and glue them on.  That will be a pain, so I hope it doesn't come to that.

Scotaidh

I ended up just making up some national markings in Paint.  I printed them out on paper, cut them out with an Xacto knife (new blade), and glued them on.  I also used the non-country specific decals from the kit - you know, "Rescue", etc. 

I used white glue (Elmer's) for the paper decals and Solvaset over all.  A coat of Gloss and another of Matte - because of rain and high humidity outside I reluctantly sprayed indoors in the basement, where I have a fan and a dehumidifier going.  I still got high as a kite, so it's not all bad!  ;)  Just kidding - it sucked.

Pictures soon.

Scotaidh

SAF Goshawk 007
Finally done! She's on a FlightPose stand. All the "national markings" were done in Paint, printed on paper, and stuck on with white glue (Elmer's - it's the standard). The 'aircraft-generic' decals came from the kit sheet. All decals were over-brushed with Solvaset, over-sprayed with Gloss lacquer, and then again with Matte lacquer. The canopy was then added - with white glue.

RSAF Goshawk 008
Squadron marking - Or, a Lion Rampant, armed and langued, Rouge.

She's now in the hanger (display case).

Tophe

With the canopy on now, I feel happy, and I clap my hands very much... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wub: :wub: ;D ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Old Wombat

Neat piece of work there! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est