Painting high density foam.

Started by chrisonord, March 08, 2019, 11:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am not sure if this is in the right place or has been talked about before, if I am asking in the wrong place can the powers that be please point me in the right direction.
I have bought some high density foam to have a go at making something with it, I have seen some aircraft done with this stuff before, so thought I would have a go. Can anyone tell me what to use to seal it so I can paint it, or does it paint easily. I didn't think it would be easy to paint after looking at it closely.
Cheers
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Not sure about polyurethane, but PVA might be possible. I bought some extruded polystyrene/Styrofoam (roof insulation foam) for a project, you can prime it with PVA.

It's also possible to use polyester resin for a very smooth finish.  This blog gives some tips, it mostly focuses on XPS but breifly mentions polyurethane and might help:
https://davidneat.wordpress.com/styrofoam/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Cheers mossie, I have seen that it can be glued together with wood glue which is virtually pva glue, I will give some a try on a small piece, and see if it is smooth enough.
Cheers
Chris

rickshaw

Acrylics or water colours are the only suitable paints to use.  Enamels have solvents in them which eat the foam.

How do I know?  From long experience making wargames scenery from expanded polystyrene foam.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

chrisonord

Oops...
I think water based everything will be the way to go with all gluing and painting, it's all going to be a learning curve for me
Chris

kerick

Yeah, anything with petroleum solvent will dissolve the foam. Water based is the way to go. Coat it with the PVA glue and be prepared to let it dry over night.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Yup, I've only ever used it for wargames scenery/buildings and only used posted paint after sealing it with PVA
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I once tried to use an expanded polystyrene coffee cup to transfer petrol from my motorbike to the fire I was trying to start.  That was a learning experience...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

For gluing, try UHU Por, it's made for foams, you can find it in a lot of places.  Grabs foams better than PVA, I've used it for kids projects. Copydex and fabric glues work well too.

In the blog I posted, gorilla glue has a particular advantage.  If you happen dampen the surface, it foams and if you tape the pieces together, it self fills and can be cut and sanded like the foam itself.  I've yet to try this myself though.

EDIT, Cheers Fred, dangers of typing on smartphone.  I at least spotted what the predictive text turned "Por" into....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

I think you may have meant to type dampen.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

chrisonord

Thanks for the info and advice folks, really appreciated :thumbsup:
Chris

kerick

Quote from: zenrat on March 09, 2019, 03:09:08 AM
I once tried to use an expanded polystyrene coffee cup to transfer petrol from my motorbike to the fire I was trying to start.  That was a learning experience...

That's a trick played on the new guy in every shop that uses petroleum solvents!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

CA glues for foam are a available, the RC guys use it a lot.

NARSES2

Should you be posting that here ? Or do Australian States have a Statute of Limitations, unlike the U.K. ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2019, 06:57:42 AM

Should you be posting that here ? Or do Australian States have a Statute of Limitations, unlike the U.K. ?  ;)

I was in the UK when trying to do it.  At Sompting* Cricket Club IIRC.

* Just down the road from what was once Ford Airfield from where the FAA flew Wyverns.
Fred