1:72 Boeing V-44 Quad Tilt Rotor

Started by jalles, March 10, 2019, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on May 08, 2019, 05:36:39 PM

but the spinning motion can consist of some string around the mould, held in your hand and spun over your head. 

The mind truly BOGGLES!  :o

What could possibly go wrong, eh?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 09, 2019, 01:01:50 AM

but the spinning motion can consist of some string around the mould, held in your hand and spun over your head. 

A great deal depends on the quality of string used and the availability of a large clear area in which to spin.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: Rheged on May 09, 2019, 02:18:14 AM

A great deal depends on the quality of string used and the availability of a large clear area in which to spin.

Suitibility of the available area can be assessed if one has a cat...

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I wonder what my neighbours would think if they saw me doing that in my back yard. They're already convinced I'm off a different planet anyway!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 09, 2019, 03:40:51 AM
I wonder what my neighbours would think if they saw me doing that in my back yard. They're already convinced I'm off a different planet anyway!  :o

Now why would they think that, Kit?   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

The problem Jason has is time. He's using the same stuff I do I think, aluminite.  You have 30 secs to get the stuff into the mould, and that includes stirring time for the two part resin components  ---  :-X
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jalles

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 09, 2019, 07:04:27 AM
The problem Jason has is time. He's using the same stuff I do I think, aluminite.  You have 30 secs to get the stuff into the mould, and that includes stirring time for the two part resin components  ---  :-X

I'm actually using EasyFlo 60 Casting Resin. And while it does set up quick, it seems to be a little more forgiving than aluminite. I mix for 20 seconds and then probably get a 45 seconds of low viscosity and it's pretty much unpourable after two or three minutes.  I should time it next time.

kitnut617

D'oh! got you mixed up with sandiego ----

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 09, 2019, 03:40:51 AM

Just tell them it's a bird scarer and you are protecting your seedlings  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jalles

A little more progress, I'm going to use the landing gear from a KC-135 but the axles are too far apart. I cut off the old axles and have drilled holes for the new ones with the correct spacing.

quad-tilt-rotor-09 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

I decided I didn't like my prop hubs so designed some new ones with bigger fairings for each blade. The new one is one the left.

quad-tilt-rotor-14 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

I've painted the pilots and the cockpit interior is finished. This is a big step as I can finally attach the clear section and finish PSR.

quad-tilt-rotor-10 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

quad-tilt-rotor-11 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

quad-tilt-rotor-12 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

quad-tilt-rotor-13 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

It's not super detailed by any means, but enough to look busy.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Could be much worse, Kit.  ;D
In the good old days, the "spinning" system for castings was also used for METAL castings. Imagine spinning around your head a mould filled with molten metal!  :banghead:
Model railway "cottage industries" used this system, and a friend of mine had to use it for dental castings.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: loupgarou on May 24, 2019, 12:31:06 AM

Could be much worse, Kit.  ;D
In the good old days, the "spinning" system for castings was also used for METAL castings. Imagine spinning around your head a mould filled with molten metal!  :banghead:
Model railway "cottage industries" used this system, and a friend of mine had to use it for dental castings.

If you are the one doing the spinning then you would be relatively safe as in the event of a failure the molten metal/resin would go outwards.
On the other hand, if you were the one walking unannounced into the garage with a cuppa and a bikkie...

Lots of room in that cockpit.  Given the shape of the nose I almost expected the crew (PJ Productions?) to be wearing International Rescue uniforms...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on May 24, 2019, 12:31:06 AM

To avoid that we built a small centrifugal casting machine in metalwork at school  ;D We used to melt milk bottle tops for our Al. Loads of fun with Mr Troupe who was only a couple of years older then us  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: jalles on May 23, 2019, 07:36:56 PM

I decided I didn't like my prop hubs so designed some new ones with bigger fairings for each blade. The new one is one the left.

quad-tilt-rotor-14 by Jason Alles, on Flickr

Some super work there Jason, but ---- (always a but, right! :laugh: )

I was told by someone who worked on the V-22 in the design office, that all the present kits of the V-22 except the new Hasegawa kit, are all modelled on the first 6 prototypes, the nacelles were redesigned for production V-22's and look quite a bit different now. Like the spinners, they don't have the fairings at all -- this photo I took at the Yuma Airshow a few years ago.