BAe Sea Gripen

Started by McColm, March 28, 2019, 02:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Although there have been studies conducted into the concept of a carrier version of the  Saab JAS 93 Gripen,  also known as the Gripen M or Sea Gripen it would make sense in the  Whiffing World and the Real World for Britain to develop this idea to deployment on the new carriers.
BAE Systems would build these under licence for the Fleet Air Arm but I can see these in service with the Royal Air Force as a replacement in the roles of the Jaguar.
There are a lot of 1/72 and 1/48 kits to choose from so  it is possible for the  single and two seater version to be built.
I know Freightdog used sell the  extended nose leg of the  BAC TSR2, as I bought a couple but the extended leg of the F-4 Phantom might be an alternative. I should be able to find a suitable arrestor  for hook from the same kit or a search in the spares bin. Shouldn't be too difficult to scratch build one to fit.
Or the maritime attack version might be more suitable taking over from the Tornado GR1B .
Colour schemes are down to the individual modeller,  although there were a few experimental colour patterns tried on the Jaguar that wouldn't be out of place in  this build.

perttime

The extended leg of the F-4 Phantom might be taller than you want.
Looking at photos of Gripen and F-4 with the nose wheel in the normal position, with crew near it. The Gripen looks closer to the ground. It is a much smaller aircraft.